How to create an Add-in which colleagues can install giving a custom ribbon?

Rajen777

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I would be really grateful if someone could give me either high-level or detail steps on achieving the following:

---
I want to create a file (which I am thinking will be an add-in), that my colleagues can import into their Excel, and when they do, they get a custom ribbon which has the frequently used tools for our work, and also buttons to launch custom macros (or VBA scripts) like formatting the sheet with our logos.

We plan to alter the ribbon now and again with more useful buttons. We may also update the VBA scripts to automate more tasks. So I am thinking the add-in file will need to be editable somehow.
---

So far:
I have the macros in my personal workbook so I don't need help with coding the VBA.

I installed Visual Studio and made a custom ribbon with one dummy icon (vsto type I think), which automatically loads into my Excel, but it is just a dummy button so it doesnt do anything and therefore I dont know:
a) how to create a custom ribbon in Visual Studio (if that is the correct application to use) with a button that actually does something (like bottom borders)
b) how to create a button in Visual Studio and link a VBA script to it
c) how to export the ribbon from Visual Studio so that I can install it on other people's computers.

I am only assuming Visual Studio is the software to use to get this job done - perhaps it isnt.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Easier to make an .xlam add-in. See Ron's pages here which has pretty much everything you need to know about making the ribbon for it. Then just save the workbook as an add-in. Finally, have a read of Ken's article here about deploying add-ins in a network environment to make updating them easier.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Basics of How to create an Add-in which colleagues can install giving a custom ribbon?
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back