How to create pie chart from 1 column with duplicates

Tyrel Smith

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Could someone please help me.

I'm trying to create a pie chart from only one column which has duplicates, I want it to display the name of the item and how many duplicates there are of it. Se below

Apple
Mac
Windows
Apple
Mac
Apple
Mac

Please help.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
You can't do it with just that one column. Do you know in advance what the possible values are? If so then you would create another column (let's say B) with a list of possible values, and another column to the right of that which uses

=COUNTIF(A:A,B1)

Then you use column B and C to create your pie chart.

Book2
ABC
1AppleApple3
2MacMac3
3WindowsWindows1
4Apple
5Mac
6Apple
7Mac
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C3C1=COUNTIF(A:A,B1)

piechart.jpg

Upvote 0
I don't think you can create a chart using text values alone. That being said you can however create a pivot table from your text column. Pivot table puts the text values to the row labels but when you drag the same column to the values field as well the pivot table counts the number of values. You'll end up with two columns which you can visualize in a chart.

The same thing can be done without pivot tables as well but you're going to have to create the two columns yourself. The pivot table is by far the easiest way to get all the unique values. In Excel 365 there's the UNIQUE function as well but with older versions you're going to have to enter the unique values manually. The COUNTIF formula gives you the numeric values.

The pivot table solution is super easy but if the values change you're going to have to refresh the pivot table to get the new values. With the formula version the numbers update automatically if you've used a dynamic data range ( = select a single cell from your data and press Ctrl + T to turn it into a table ).

Upvote 0
You can't do it with just that one column. Do you know in advance what the possible values are? If so then you would create another column (let's say B) with a list of possible values, and another column to the right of that which uses

=COUNTIF(A:A,B1)

Then you use column B and C to create your pie chart.

Book2
ABC
1AppleApple3
2MacMac3
3WindowsWindows1
4Apple
5Mac
6Apple
7Mac
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C3C1=COUNTIF(A:A,B1)

View attachment 26503
the problem is I don't know what the next values will be

Upvote 0
you can however create a pivot table from your text column
Actually that is better than my idea. Then you do not need to know in advance what the possible values are. Here is what it would look like.
piechart2.jpg

Upvote 0
The row labels will not update automatically. To update them press the Refresh All button found from the Data tab of your Excel ribbon. This works if the data source you used to create the pivot table was a real Excel table ( = the Ctrl + T "trick" ). The table grows automatically when you add new rows to your data set. If you created your pivot table without a table the data range is fixed and you'll need to reset the range every time manually.

Upvote 0
Here is a video demonstrating how to create the chart. I am using Office 365 so the menu navigation may be slightly different for you, but it should be similar and all the same options exist.

Upvote 0
Solution
By using the more recent (relatively speaking) dynamic array functions and spill references, you can automate the entire process. Suppose your data are in a table (as Excel understands it) in col A starting with A1. Suppose the header (A1) is 'Name' (w/o the quotes).

Then in some empty range, say C1:D1 enter the literals Unique and Count
In C2 enter the formula =UNIQUE(Table3[Name])
In D2 enter the formula =COUNTIF(Table3[Name],C2#)
Create 2 named ranges:

XRng=Sheet5!$C$2#
YRng=OFFSET(Sheet5!XRng,0,1)

Finally, create a pie chart that uses this names:
=SERIES(Sheet5!$D$1,Sheet5!XRng,Sheet5!YRng,1)

Now, if you add new values to the table in column A, Excel will update the chart.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back