How to delete entire lines if cells in pre-defined columns are up to max pre-defined quantity of characters?

Neighbour

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I have Excel 2013 and looking to delete lines (entire lines) where cells in exact wanted column contain exact, pre-defined, quantity of characters (each cell separately of course) OR LESS. The goal is to get lines deleted where there are not enough characters in cells of analysed column. Those characters can be anything, e.g. symbols, letters, numbers, etc.? Since I'm NOT that good with Excel, I would greatly appreciate more detailed and easy to follow instructions please. Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

If your data is not too large then you could try this macro. To implement ..
1. With your workbook active press Alt+F11 to bring up the vba window.
2. In the Visual Basic window use the menu to Insert|Module
3. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 2.
4. Close the Visual Basic window.
5. Press Alt+F8 to bring up the Macro dialog
6. Select the macro & click ‘Run’
7. Your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm)

I have assumed that the column of interest does not contain formulas or, if it does, those formulas do not need to be retained.

VBA Code:
Sub DeleteShort()
  Const ColumnOfInterest As String = "E"
  Const MinCharactersReqd As Long = 5

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  With Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, Columns(ColumnOfInterest))
    .Value = Evaluate(Replace("if(len(#)<" & MinCharactersReqd & ","""",#)", "#", .Address))
    On Error Resume Next
    .SpecialCells(xlBlanks).EntireRow.Delete
    On Error GoTo 0
  End With
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

If your data is very large and there are a lot of scattered rows to be deleted this may run somewhat slowly. If that is the case for you post back with an approximate number of rows in your data for an alternative solution.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your response. I followed your instructions and saved file as macro but when I try to run that macro, I get the following error: Compile error: Invalid outside procedure

Upvote 0
I get the following error: Compile error: Invalid outside procedure
Are you sure that you copied the whole of my code (easiest way is to use this icon at the top right of the code:
1643584136504.png
).
Does it start with Sub ... and end with End Sub
If it does then you must have some other code (before or after mine or in another module) that is incomplete.

Upvote 0
I copied everything, including ''VBA Code:'' without the quotes at the beginning. However, I changed E to my wanted column and ''5'' to my wanted different minimum. So every cell with quantity of characters, in my wanted column (the one I changed E to), LOWER than defined one, could get it's entire line deleted.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the confirmation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back