How to do Pull-Down menu with colored graphics icon?

pchen

Hi All,

I'm trying to do a pull down menu with three selections - green,yellow, and red dots? I set up the data validation and referred it to a list. That is under Data Validation -> Settings -> Allow: List; Source: a range of cells where I put 3 colored dots(graphics). Now in the pull down menu when I select the first choice, it just gives me a black dot. The second choice gives me the same black dot. And so does the 3rd choice gives me a black dot.

So, how do I carry the 3 colored dots over? Or it's not possible using the Data Validation approach? If not what is the best and easiest way to go about doing this.

Thanks a lot! I'm new to this forum and this seems like a great resource.

:)

PC

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
I'll try it later after work, but one work-around might be to use -1,0,1 as your listed values with custom formatting to make it appear as colored dots. That will get the cells to look as you want, but the validation dropdown...a Change event toggling some shapes (that looks like a dropdown) might be needed.

Perhaps the best way to go would be to use numbers and letters instead of colored dots. That way, users with red-green color blindness could use the sheet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll try it later after work, but one work-around might be to use -1,0,1 as your listed values with custom formatting to make it appear as colored dots. That will get the cells to look as you want, but the validation dropdown...a Change event toggling some shapes (that looks like a dropdown) might be needed.

Perhaps the best way to go would be to use numbers and letters instead of colored dots. That way, users with red-green color blindness could use the sheet.

Interesting. Can you please kindly post a sample Excel spreadsheet to show that. It needs to be dots. I know silly. But it is.

:)

PC

Upvote 0
Actually I replaced the dots with 1,0,-1 as you suggested. But I'm still trying to figure out how how could i format 1,0,-1 as colored dots? thanks.

Upvote 0
I tried this in the Custom format box [Red][=-1];[Yellow][=0];[Green][=1] but it gave me an error message that Excel cannot use the number format you typed. Also, even if it did it doesn't ahve the colored dots i want...

Upvote 0
Excel will accept this number format. (quotes required, the dot is CHAR(149) )
[Red]"•";[Yellow]"•";[Green]"•"

Upvote 0
Excel will accept this number format. (quotes required, the dot is CHAR(149) )
[Red]"•";[Yellow]"•";[Green]"•"

Thanks! It works fine! But I had to use 1,0,-1 in the list pull-down selection. When I tried to put dots as the choice in the pull down selection it doesn't work. Is there a way to make the pull down menu list dots and have the color changes correctly? It's not that important. But aesthetically it will be nice. I'll also try to play around some more tomorrow. If you know a way then great.

Thanks a lot!

PC

Upvote 0
The only thing I can think of to get dots in the "pull down menu" would involve shapes and the SelectionChange event.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back