how to do sequential analysis (+and incremental counting) ?

gorimaa

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
hello every body

i would like to know if there is a way to analysis occurence of words in a colomn in a sequentail way. it is little bit complicate so here an exemple i would like to achieve:

here us my colomn of two words "win" and "loose" coming in a random way that i input myself. lets say these are result of some connect 4 game's sets, were to first person to win a match is the one who achieved 3 won set in row. My goal is to able to count how many win and lost match throught the sequence of won/lost set in sequential order from top to bottom. i put manually the result on the right colomn (victory and defeat) and final total results at the bottom end , but i would like this to be done automatically:

SET: MATCHES:
win
loose
win
win = victory
win
win
win = victory
loose
loose
win
loose = defeat
win
win
win = victory
loose
win
win
loose
loose = defeat

total results of matches : victory: 3 / defeats : 2

is it possible to achieve that in excel ?

thank you so much

windows 10 - excel 2016 - beginner level

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi,

Please Try This.

Example.xlsb
A
1win
2loose
3win
4win = victory
5win
6win
7win = victory
8loose
9loose
10win
11loose = defeat
12win
13win
14win = victory
15loose
16win
17win
18loose
19loose = defeat
21Total results of matches :Victory:3/ Defeats:2
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A21A21=CONCATENATE("Total results of matches :Victory:",COUNTIFS(A1:A19,"*"&"Victory"),"/ Defeats:",COUNTIFS(A1:A19,"*"&"Defeat"))

Regards,
Ravi

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for replying so fast :)

Sadly this not working , but i thing it comes from my explanation to be not clear enough:

- the "victory" and "defeat" i input was just here to clarify the sequential counting that is needed.

So mostly i would like the formula to sequentially analyse the colomn A1-A19 starting by A1 and counting how many "WIN" and "LOOSE" , stopping as soon as one of the two reached 3 .

exemple :
if 3x "WON" is reached before 3x "LOOSE" in the sequential counting (whether it could be 3x WON vs 0,1 or 2x LOOSE) then increment the "victory" by +1 (it would be perfect to be able to input the word "victory" or "defeat" next to the level where a match is won or lost but it is not mandatory as it could be too complicate).

Then put back counting to 0 in order start counting again for the next following match , if for exemple this time the counting sees "LOOSE" reaching 3 before "WIN" made it (again whatever WON reached 0 or 1 or 2 , the important is the first reaching 3) then increment the block "defeat" by +1.

In the hope it can helps

Cherrs

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike575

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back