How to Document an Excel App

pjmorris

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I've created an App that is fairly complicated and in addition to normal Excel functions uses VBA, PowerQuery and PowerPivot. How do I document it so I can remember how it works when it needs to be updated/amended.

Grateful for advice.

Best Regards

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
You can add comments before, after or at the end of each line of code by starting the comment with an apostrophe. For example:
VBA Code:
Sub test()
    Range("A1").Copy 'this line of code copies cell A1
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Mumps, though I'm not very good at doing so I am familiar with that approach. I was looking for something more comprehensive as it needs to include understanding how the various tables relate to each other, how the measures in PowerPivot operate etc.

But every bit of advice is appreciated.

Regards

Upvote 0
As far as I know, that is the only way you can add comments directly into a macro. The only other alternative I can think of is to write up a description in a Word document where you could take one line of code or several lines at time and write a description of how they work and what they do.

Upvote 0
As far as I know, that is the only way you can add comments directly into a macro. The only other alternative I can think of is to write up a description in a Word document where you could take one line of code or several lines at time and write a description of how they work and what they do.
That's what I'm afraid of, but I can't help thinking there must be some Visio/Database type standards or templates that would make it easier. Maybe not? perhaps I need to invent something.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
My pleasure and good luck with it. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back