How to efficiently have a summary sheet that reads from multiple sheets

Excel_lent101

Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone - I was recommended to look for VBA ideas in this forum.

The situation:
I have multiple sheets that contain data of fixed income assets. These sheets have some data that are input manually (amounts, cost, etc.) and some read from bloomberg ( price, yield, etc), and I have a summary sheet that has all the data but summarized.

So, my question is I want to build an efficient VBA module that doesn’t require a human interference except for downloading raw data of assets and market from its sources.

I would like to see your ideas on that. Note that I’m a first timer at VBA.

Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Welcome to the Board!

What you are describing (many related data lists) is really a relational database. As such, as relational database program, such as Microsoft Access or SQL will handle this sort of thing much better than Excel can, as that is what they were designed for. Excel was not designed for that purpose, though you can "brute-force" Excel to behave that way (though it tends to be a bit clunky, slow, and cumbersome).

If you don't have the resources to use (or learn) Microsoft Access and absolutely have to use Excel, I would look at using Power Query, which is a tool you can use inside Excel that allows you to perform some database-type operations in Excel. There is a forum for Power Query here on this board where you can ask questions (and also has some good information in the Stickies at the top of that forum): Power Tools

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back