How to ensure formulas references move when cell is moved without redoing formula

sgcannon

Board Regular
I have multiple formulas that reference a certain cell but now I have to move that cell to a new location. I may have to move it again in the future. I want to have all the references to that cell reference the new location when I move the cell. I know that one way I can do it is to name the cell. When I move the contents of that cell to its new location, I just have to update the location in the name definition. I know that will work but it seems like someone showed me another way to accomplish the same thing. Is the name definition method the best way to go?

Thanks,

Steve

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I have multiple formulas that reference a certain cell but now I have to move that cell to a new location. I may have to move it again in the future. I want to have all the references to that cell reference the new location when I move the cell. I know that one way I can do it is to name the cell. When I move the contents of that cell to its new location, I just have to update the location in the name definition. I know that will work but it seems like someone showed me another way to accomplish the same thing. Is the name definition method the best way to go?

Thanks,

Steve
build the formula with the $ as an example in cell B15 you have a formula " =B$14" this will protect the column number but update the row. So if you copied to C15 the formula would show = C$14 If you enter the reference as $B$14 it retain the row and column

Upvote 0
build the formula with the $ as an example in cell B15 you have a formula " =B$14" this will protect the column number but update the row. So if you copied to C15 the formula would show = C$14 If you enter the reference as $B$14 it retain the row and column

What a useful trick! Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back