How to fill a form field after upon click, prompt a login, and fill the form field with the username of the logged in

lbradbury

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have a form that has a text box in a PruchaseReqHeader form, that upon click it opens another form. This form is frm_login, and prompts for a username and password. The goal is once the user puts in their username and password, the field that was originally clicked populates with the username The code underneath the frm_login, upon clicking the login button is below. This is where I'm stuck, I don't know how to get the text box to populate with the username.

VBA Code:
Private Sub cmd_login_Click()

Dim db As DAO.Database
  Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
  Dim strSQL As String

If Trim(Me.txt_username.Value & vbNullString) = vbNullString Then
    MsgBox prompt:="Username should not be left blank.", buttons:=vbInformation, title:="Username Required"
    Me.txt_username.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
  End If

If Trim(Me.txt_password.Value & vbNullString) = vbNullString Then
    MsgBox prompt:="Password should not be left blank.", buttons:=vbInformation, title:="Password Required"
    Me.txt_password.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
  End If

'query to check if login details are correct
  strSQL = "SELECT FirstName FROM tbl_login WHERE Username = """ & Me.txt_username.Value & """ AND Password = """ & Me.txt_password.Value & """"

Set db = CurrentDb
  Set rst = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL)
  If rst.EOF Then
    MsgBox prompt:="Incorrect username/password. Try again.", buttons:=vbCritical, title:="Login Error"
    Me.txt_username.SetFocus
  Else
    MsgBox prompt:="Hello, " & rst.Fields(0).Value & ".", buttons:=vbOKOnly, title:="Login Successful"
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_login", acSaveYes
  End If

Set db = Nothing
 Set rst = Nothing

End Sub

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Don't know how that's being done, but if you can validate values in your code you should be able to pass them to the form that prompted the input in the first place. Since it's already open AND since the input form is already open, OpenArgs will not work. Something like this on the password form ought to work:
Forms!frm1.txt_approval = Me.txtUserName (or whatever it is that your user name control is). When the password form closes, I believe form1 will reflect the value because it will redraw when it gets the focus. If not, then you need to refresh the control or the form. I would try the control first, otherwise you might run into other issues caused by refreshing or requerying the form, such as messages about missing data or saving incomplete records.

This is listed in my first post, when the textbox is clicked it has an event procedure to open the frm_login that prompts for a username and password. the login button on this form has the following code to verify that the username and password inputted is correct. After this, the frm_login closes if the username and password is validated, at this point I want the username that was inputted to populate in the text field.

VBA Code:
VBA Code:

Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
Dim strSQL As String

MsgBox prompt:="Username should not be left blank.", buttons:=vbInformation, title:="Username Required"
Me.txt_username.SetFocus
Exit Sub
End If

MsgBox prompt:="Password should not be left blank.", buttons:=vbInformation, title:="Password Required"
Me.txt_password.SetFocus
Exit Sub
End If

strSQL = "SELECT FirstName FROM tbl_login WHERE Username = """ & Me.txt_username.Value & """ AND Password = """ & Me.txt_password.Value & """"

Set db = CurrentDb
If rst.EOF Then
MsgBox prompt:="Incorrect username/password. Try again.", buttons:=vbCritical, title:="Login Error"
Me.txt_username.SetFocus
Else
MsgBox prompt:="Hello, " & rst.Fields(0).Value & ".", buttons:=vbOKOnly, title:="Login Successful"
End If

Set db = Nothing
Set rst = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0
Please note that Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.
Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.
If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
I gave you my answer in my last post - incorporate it into your code where the user credentials are recognized as being valid. Then report back if it doesn't work.
The recordset thing is overkill IMO when you could just use DLookup.

Upvote 0
I gave you my answer in my last post - incorporate it into your code where the user credentials are recognized as being valid. Then report back if it doesn't work.
The recordset thing is overkill IMO when you could just use DLookup.
This is a bit beyond my skills. do you have any suggestions on resources to complete this? I don't know how to to incorporate this into my code.

Upvote 0
Change the forms! reference (see <<<<<<) to the names of your open form and the control you want to populate. That is really the only line you need. You can stick with your recordset - or not.
Note - when someone is called out for cross posting and says nothing about it in either forum you get on my ignore list. The only reason I'm going to make this reply is because I had the code on an open NotePad and your solution is simple.
VBA Code:
Dim strUser As String

strUser = Me.txt_username
If Trim(strUser & vbNullString) = vbNullString Then
Me.txt_username.SetFocus
Exit Sub
End If

If Trim(Me.txt_password & vbNullString) = vbNullString Then
Me.txt_password.SetFocus
Exit Sub
End If

If IsNull(Dlookup("UserName","tbl_login","UserName = '" & strUser & "'")) <> "" Then
Me.txt_username.SetFocus
Else
MsgBox prompt:="Hello, " & strUser & ".", buttons:=vbOKOnly, title:="Login Successful"
Forms!frm1.txt_approval = strUser '<<<<<<<<<<<
End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Change the forms! reference (see <<<<<<) to the names of your open form and the control you want to populate. That is really the only line you need. You can stick with your recordset - or not.
Note - when someone is called out for cross posting and says nothing about it in either forum you get on my ignore list. The only reason I'm going to make this reply is because I had the code on an open NotePad and your solution is simple.
VBA Code:
Dim strUser As String

If Trim(strUser & vbNullString) = vbNullString Then
Me.txt_username.SetFocus
Exit Sub
End If

If Trim(Me.txt_password & vbNullString) = vbNullString Then
Me.txt_password.SetFocus
Exit Sub
End If

If IsNull(Dlookup("UserName","tbl_login","UserName = '" & strUser & "'")) <> "" Then
Me.txt_username.SetFocus
Else
MsgBox prompt:="Hello, " & strUser & ".", buttons:=vbOKOnly, title:="Login Successful"
Forms!frm1.txt_approval = strUser '<<<<<<<<<<<
End If

End Sub
1. No need to be snarky.
2. I just saw the response about cross posting, and will be addressing this accordingly. As you can see I am new member so the rules are NOT drilled into my head like they maybe yours, so some empathy would go a long way.
3. Thank you for the code, the reason this is cross posted is this has been struggle for sometime and I'm just trying to learn.

Upvote 0
Please note that Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.
Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.
If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.
Thank you, you are correct. I have crossed posted this to the following. I'm hopeful I can learn multiple ways that people approach this scenario to best find learn my way through this.

https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=82727&p=469573#post469573

Upvote 0
For closure, this is the code I ended up with for anyone this may help.

VBA Code:

Dim db As DAO.Database
  Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
  Dim strSQL As String
  Dim strUser As String

Me.txt_username.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
  End If

Me.txt_password.SetFocus
    Exit Sub
  End If

Set db = CurrentDb
  If rst.EOF Then
    Me.txt_username.SetFocus
  Else
Forms!PurchaseReqHeader.txt_approval = strUser
  End If

Set db = Nothing
 Set rst = Nothing

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back