How to find smoothest/most stable line in a dataset

magnum55

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I have 100 countries, all with 36 months of sales data and Im trying to find the countries with the smoothest data set - by that i mean the country with least peaks and troughs in its data. Can anyone suggest the best way to do this rather than by eye? Is there was a formula which determines "smoothness"?

Many Thanks

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I considered the standard deviation but does this take into account the size of each of the countries? Some of the countries are 50 times larger than others. Im looking for a way to compare across the countries. I also assumed that a 45 degree sales line and a horizontal line would give differing standard deviation values when they are as smooth as each other. Put another way I'm looking to identify the least volatile line i.e the red line below

chart.jpg

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
The "smoothest" lines in your picture seem to be lines closest to the bottom :)
Maybe you want to take the STDEV of the differences between Sales planned vs Sales realized?
Or are you just after lines which are very linear, i. e. are looking like a straight line? Then you might want to calculate the square root of the total of each squares of differences between your line values and their FORECAST line.

Upvote 0
Hi, The lines at the bottom look smoothest but thats the effect of the axis. Maybe the term i am using is incorrect. I'm looking for the least volatile or the most linear as you say. I know how to calculate the Forecast line but how do i calculate the square root of the total of each squares of differences between each line values and their FORECAST line. Is this an excel function?

Many Thanks

Upvote 0
This is what I had in mind:
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E4:H4E4=STDEV.S(E6:E14-I6:I14)
I6:L14I6=FORECAST.LINEAR($D$6:$D$14,E6:E14,$D$6:$D$14)
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Fa is the Forecast of a, and since a is identical to Fa the corresponding STDEV of its difference from its forecast is 0, a is the smoothest here.

Upvote 0
Ah I think this is exactlty what im looking for so i interpret this correctly,
Row 4 is the STDEV of the actuals vs the forecast line - the closer the number to 0, the more linear the line?
Column D is the time period,
Col E-H contains the data,
Cols I-K are the forecast lines

Many Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back