How to find TRUE DUPLICATES?

anmac1789

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I am trying to find secondary duplicates together with Matching a specific path. For example, I am trying to match - size, date created, date modified, date accessed and highlight these rows across the entire table while not highlighting other rows for each these 4 properties are not matching. For example, suppose that there is an error made somehow and 2 files have the same 3 dates and times, size and name but when viewing the photos, they are completely different picture, if this is the case, then is there a 5th property that I can check for to make sure two files are TRULY distinct ? Btw, how can I use textjoin with conditional formatting in "use a formula to determine which cells to format" under the new formatting rule?

FYI - I used voidtool's software called Everything to populate a list with filenames, sizes, 3 dates and times -- date created, date modified, date accessed (4 properties so far). I choose not to match the name because there can be duplicates (such as file1.jpg, file1 (1).jpg)

In exactly that situation, you could put in the first 5 characters in the concat (file1), but I guess that wont suit for the rest of the filenames.

How would you define a TRUE Duplicate from the given data then?

/Skovgaard
I think I may have found a way but its a little complicated so I will shorten it quite a bit. Instead of looking for duplicates in all folders on the C drive, I have chosen the last folder for which I imported pics and videos from my android to my PC for the final time and another folder that I created but the import function was wonky and incomplete and didn't function well. So I will be comparing these two folders ONLY.

What I want to do is to have a search each size block for duplicates and apply the unique function for those entries (on textjoin) for each 'size block' and then apply this loop for several hundreds of files and all their size blocks ?

excel help forum .png

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreeCricketId

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back