How to follow hyperlink with keyboard?

jaapvanharen

Hello all

In a previous version of Excel (or with the help of an add-in or macro) it was possible to hit the ENTER key (after selection of a a cell that contains a hyperlink), on which Excel did follow that link (to a cell, sheet, file, internet, whatever).
I cannot find this "function" in Excel 2007, nor can I find add-ins or macro's that may be helpfull here.

Thanks,
Jaap

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Try hitting the Application key (typically located to the right of the right Windows key). That should bring up the context menu from which you can select 'Open Hyperlink'. Please note though that I am writing from a laptop that doesn't have Excel2007...

Upvote 0
Hi Rolf,

Thanks for your reply.
The menu you suggested does have a "follow link" option, but to select it I have to hit several keys in order to activate it:
- application key
- cursor up (2x)
- hit Enter

or

- application key
- "O" (2 times)
- hit Enter

In either case I have to hit 4 keys in stead of 1. This is an increase of 300%. And I'm just trying to get rid of my RSI ....;))

I don't understand why MS has introduced this new "shortcut", do the have share in medical companies?

Anyway, thanks for the tip. This works indeed, but is not the solution I want to use extensively. I hope you (or others) can direct me tot the final solution: hitting just one key!

Greetings,
Jaap

Upvote 0
Hi Jaap:

alternatively you could put the following code into a standard VBA module and then assign a shortcut key to it:

Code:
Sub FollowHyperlink()
    ActiveCell.Hyperlinks(1).Follow (True)
End Sub

Hope this helped.

Upvote 0
Hi Rolf,

Maybe this can do the trick.
Just one trick: I'm a real novice on VB. I can make a macro when recording it, but only for the current worksheet.
If you can give me some hints to make this a generic macro, I would be very grateful.

Thanx,
Jaap

Upvote 0
Hi Rolf,

After some troubles I managed to copy your lines into a sheet. And it WORKS! Thanx!

Only tow (minor) issues:

1) I cannot use this macro unless the sheet containing it is open, I do need to copy it to other sheets to open it. Don't think this is wise, but how to make this macro a generic one?

2) Normaly I work with my sheets in maximized mode. After applying the macro, all sheets are in "restored size". Any thought on that?

Hope to hear from you,

Greetings,
Jaap

Upvote 0
Hi,

If you want to make a macro available for all workbooks you need to create a 'Personal Macro Workbook'. The easiest way to do this is to record a new macro and chose to store the recorded macro in 'Personal Macro Workbook'. After you stopped the recording excel have now automatically stored your personal macro workbook, which will be opened everytime you start excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back