How to format 02/2022 as weeknum/year and calculate the difference between weeks

CS297

This should be so simple but I cannot find a way to do it.
I have two lots of data. One is a week number and year 02/2022, formatted as General (from a data download). One is a date which I have converted to Weeknum/Year. I want to add a formula to deduct one from the other. Can't find a way to format the 02/2022 so Excel recognizes it as weeknum/year. I then need a formula to calculate the time between these two week numbers (i.e. 02/2022 - 47/2021 = 7 (weeks)) - it doesn't seem to work as a basic subtraction when I test it. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
One is a week number and year 02/2022, formatted as General
The only way it would show 02/2022 if the format is set to "General" is if it is, in fact, actually a text entry (if you look at the value in the formula editor, F2, you will probably see a single apostophe in front of it, i.e. '02/2022). If it was not entered as text, it would show it as a date (displayed like "Feb-22").

That being said, you should then be able to use the Date function to convert it to a valid date.
So, for a value in cell A9, to convert it to a valid date, with the first day of the month, you can use this formula:
Excel Formula:
=DATE(RIGHT(A9,4),LEFT(A9,2),1)

Then, to calculate your number of weeks, simply subtract your two dates and divide by 7 (the number of days in a week).

Upvote 0
The only way it would show 02/2022 if the format is set to "General" is if it is, in fact, actually a text entry (if you look at the value in the formula editor, F2, you will probably see a single apostophe in front of it, i.e. '02/2022). If it was not entered as text, it would show it as a date (displayed like "Feb-22").

That being said, you should then be able to use the Date function to convert it to a valid date.
So, for a value in cell A9, to convert it to a valid date, with the first day of the month, you can use this formula:
Excel Formula:
=DATE(RIGHT(A9,4),LEFT(A9,2),1)

Then, to calculate your number of weeks, simply subtract your two dates and divide by 7 (the number of days in a week).
Hi Joe4,
Thank you for replying.
Have tried your suggestion on week 52/2021 and it returns 01/04/2025 - no idea where it gets that from! Also, I can't work with 1st day of the month. Week 52 2021 started on Monday 27th December so I need 27/12/2021. If converting 02/2022 to a date, I need it to return 10/01/2022. Hope that makes sense!
So, there is no way to format the 02/2022 so it recognizes it's a WW/YYYY and then allow me to do something like WW/YYYY-WW/YYYY ?
Re the original entry, I can't see an apostrophe but as it was a data download from another system and exported into Excel that might explain it.
Thanks again for your time.

Upvote 0
Whoops, sorry, I totally misread your question.

Leave the values as text. Then if you have a value like "02/2022" in cell A1 and "47/2021" in cell A2, and want to get the number of weeks, try this formula:
Rich (BB code):
=((RIGHT(A1,4)*52)+LEFT(A1,2)) - ((RIGHT(A2,4)*52)+LEFT(A2,2))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back