How to generate all possible combinations with 2 sets??? please its urgent

Mukhlis

Say there is a column with number 1,2,3,4 and 5
and there is another column with alphabets A,B,C,D

now what I want is that each number combine with a alphabet such that for same combination no other number occupy the previous alphabet. For example.

Combination 1: 1A - 2B - 3C - 4D (if a alphabet is remaining then let it be)
Combination 2: 1B- 2C - 3D - 4A (no repetition from above one)
Combination 3: 1C - 2D - 3A - 4B (no repetition from above one)
and so on...

It will be very helpful if someone provide a method for this in excel sheet, i think this is easy one but I am not a expert in permutation or combination. So please do this, it's very urgent for me.

Mukhlis

I saw that, but can you please explain it here with a simple formula. Please, my mind is not in a condition to read, think and apply all that stuff.

Mukhlis

azumi

Sorry bro Mukhlis for late reply, I didnt see your PM, here you go, I assumed you have data in Column A --> 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and Column B --> A, B, C, D and put this on D1 :

=IF(AND(ROWS(A$1:A1)<=COUNTA($B$1:$B$4);COLUMNS($A1:A1)<=COUNTA($A$1:$A$5));INDEX($A$1:$A$5;COLUMNS($A$1:A1))&INDEX($B$1:$B$4;MOD((INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)*1)*1)+COLUMNS($A1:A1)-1;ROWS($B$1:$B$4))+1);"")

and copied cross and down until blank results....

Im using Indonesian system, and if you not just change ";" with commas ","

Hope this works bro.........

regards

Mukhlis

Sorry bro Mukhlis for late reply, I didnt see your PM, here you go, I assumed you have data in Column A --> 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and Column B --> A, B, C, D and put this on D1 :

=IF(AND(ROWS(A$1:A1)<=COUNTA($B$1:$B$4);COLUMNS($A1:A1)<=COUNTA($A$1:$A$5));INDEX($A$1:$A$5;COLUMNS($A$1:A1))&INDEX($B$1:$B$4;MOD((INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)*1)*1)+COLUMNS($A1:A1)-1;ROWS($B$1:$B$4))+1);"")

and copied cross and down until blank results....

Im using Indonesian system, and if you not just change ";" with commas ","

Hope this works bro.........

regards
Please see the image which shows the error...

[/URL][/IMG]

azumi

to increase just extend the ranges on formula

on highlighted cells you need to adjust with your actual table and need to be sure no blanks in your table.......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimtid

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics