how to get multiple VLOOKUP results to be a SUM on a different page

blakestandal

Hello and thank you whomever is taking time to read this post. I really appreciate it. :)

I have been tasked with helping my boss get a comprehensive excel doc together that saves a lot of time.

In doing this, I have made enormous progress, but i've hit a snag.

In a perfect world, I want to have a "cost breakdown" sheet that auto-populates the $ values according to what "category" each cost is under. All on a separate sheet.

attached are links to pictures with my predicament.

https://drive.google.com/a/energyst...0B58yjs0XislhbFE0TDJVVFgwbHc/view?usp=sharing

This shows my data table (without being filled in a whole lot). on the left you see a category, it's been set from a list of about 6 total categories, but could end up being more...

On the right, you see the subtotal price that is generated from these mock products.

I want to have multiples of the same category- more specifically, their $ value, be SUM-ed and placed on the next link's page.

https://drive.google.com/a/energyst...0B58yjs0XislhS29OTENqVmtlSkE/view?usp=sharing

you'll notice that I can get ONE value to populate in the cell. (solar, for instance works because its only looking for ONE value on the cost breakdown sheet, but I need it to auto-sum ALL corresponding values).

Please post to this thread if you have questions about my process or need more information to get a result!

Or how about an even more simple SUMIF formula?
Code:
=SUMIF(Column to sum,Column to look for lookup value,lookup value)
Code:
=SUMIF(Sheet1!$F:$F,Sheet1!$A:$A,"Solar")
Replace "Solar" with the lookup value (your dropdown)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Or how about an even more simple SUMIF formula?
Code:
=SUMIF(Column to sum,Column to look for lookup value,lookup value)
Code:
=SUMIF(Sheet1!$F:$F,Sheet1!$A:$A,"Solar")
Replace "Solar" with the lookup value (your dropdown)

Any benefit of doing it this way?

Upvote 0
VLOOKUP will stop at the first found value...

Perhaps I'm just clueless to some simple fact... but there's no way it could work with more than one? like a series of VLOOKUP formulas? Just curious because I want to learn while I work on this.

Upvote 0
You can do more advanced lookups with SUMPRODUCT. I guess you can say it's more versatile.
SUMIF (and SUMIFS) should be faster as far as I know...

Upvote 0
You can do more advanced lookups with SUMPRODUCT. I guess you can say it's more versatile.
SUMIF (and SUMIFS) should be faster as far as I know...

I appreciate the info!

Thankfully, my data table is one sheet's worth... and the MASTER list of all products we sell/deal with might be a couple pages... point being; we probably don't have a speed-solving issue to worry about :)

Upvote 0
Then you can just use what you prefer :)
I prefer SUMIF because I think it is easier to read (and faster to write), but I guess it's just a matter of taste...
Of course when I need more advanced lookups, I use SUMPRODUCT...
Oh, and to your other question:
Perhaps I'm just clueless to some simple fact... but there's no way it could work with more than one? like a series of VLOOKUP formulas? Just curious because I want to learn while I work on this.
The simple answer; no! :)

Upvote 0
lookups require data to be in ascending or descending order - and - you have many solars - so you would in effect have to lookup every solar separately...

it is just n ot really suitable for this task....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back