How to get worksheet_selection change to work

mkvarious

hello,

I need a help with the following task: when a cell from H column is changed then I need a formula in I cell column to be written. Obviously I do not want to use Excel formulas like: =if(H1="","",weeknum(H1)) or any other variation of any formula as the file needs to be used by various users and as usual in such instances they will/can delete the formula etc. etc.

So I need VBA code that reacts to workbook events. I have tried many variations and still did not get what I am looking for. not sure, but think that my problem is that I narrow the SELECTION CHANGE to column H only and then it does not always work. I am even using SHEET CHANGE to get the expected result but am not getting it at right.

below (one) of the variation codes I have been trying. since I have limited SELECTION CHANGE and SHEET CHANGE to check whether H column is empty or not, then I realized that:

• when I input data in H column to na empty cell and press enter they (SELECTION CHANGE/SHEET CHANGE) do nothing
  • when I input data in H column to na empty cell and press tab they do nothing
  • when I input data in H column to na empty cell and press ctrl + enter one of them works (SHEET CHANGE works) and writes the formula in I cell
  • when I use cursors to get to a cell with data in H column then it works (SELECTION CHANGE works) and writes the formula in I cell

what I need is: when data has been inputted in H cell, then a formula needs to be written in I cell (forget the formula now, I need the event to work, first). I need this/these events to work when cells in H columns have been changed by:

• pressing enter
  • pressing tab
  • using cursors
  • pressing ctrl + tab

since I am clueless how to get that working can someone help me, please?
do I need two events or just one, but properly written?

cheers,
mkvarious

msgbox is obviously used for tracking purposes, only

Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
Dim który As Long

If Target.Column = 8 Then
If ActiveCell.Value <> "" Then
który = ActiveCell.Row
MsgBox "selection change"
MsgBox który
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Formula = "=weeknum(" & Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "H") & ",2)"
End If
End If
End sub

Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
Dim który As Long

If Target.Column = 8 Then
If ActiveCell.Value <> "" Then
który = ActiveCell.Row
MsgBox "sheet change"
MsgBox który
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1).Formula = "=weeknum(" & Cells(ActiveCell.Row, "H") & ",2)"
End If
End Sub

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
try changing this
Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)

to

Private Sub WorkSheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
AND
Make sure it is pasted into the sheet module you are working with not a Standard or This Workbook module !!

Upvote 0
hello Michael M,

thanks for your reply. it has not changed, though.
I changed

Code:
  Private Sub WorkSheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

according to your suggestion and moved it to Sheet1 but the result is the same as it was before.
any second thought?

mkvarious

Upvote 0
finally have made it!
inspiration has come mainly from the thread [URL]http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/552778-worksheet-selectionchange.html[/url] and Smitty's piece of advice
You use a Change event to test if a cell's value has changed. The SelectionChange event is fired based on movement around the worksheet. He's some boilerplate Change event code. Check the comments for where to put your range:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
' Code goes in the Worksheet specific module
Dim rng As Range
' Set Target Range, i.e. Range("A1, B2, C3"), or Range("A1:B3")
Set rng = Target.Parent.Range("xxx")
' Only look at single cell changes
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
' Only look at that range
If Intersect(Target, rng) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
' Action if Condition(s) are met (do your thing here...)

End Sub

HTH,
but obviously to Miachel M as well as I was unaware WorkSheet_Change or WorkSheet_SelectionChange should be contained within the sheet module.
also I now know that what I needed was WorkSheet_Change not WorkSheet_SelectionChange.
the main problem was how to properly define H column as range but we learn each day :)

the code goes like this:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim rng As Range
Dim który As Long
Set rng = Columns(8)
If Intersect(Target, rng) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    który = ActiveCell.Row
    MsgBox "sheet change"
    MsgBox który
    Cells(który, 8).Offset(0, 1).Formula = "=weeknum(" & Cells(który, 8) & ",2)"
End Sub

now my problem is to properly translate date to VBA to be used in WEEKNUM formula but it should be way easier!

mkvarious

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back