How to Give an Error Message if Data is Incorrect?

bradewilk

I have a couple of excel sheets that multiple users enter numerical data into. We check the accuracy of this data mathematically by calculator at this point. Some users are more efficeint than others. Some don't even check their work. I need to know how to produce an error message if the data is incorrect.

Example: C2+D2 must equal E3. If this doesn't add up I want to give an error message in a red cell near the data. Such as "DATA IS INCORRECT" in the red cell. If the data is correct I'd like the same cell to be green with a message "DATA IS CORRECT". The colored cell is not a must, just a preference. I would like to know how to change the color of the text that shows up if the colored cell is not possible or if using colored text is a much easier process. I know how to change the color of text, just not sure how complicated it would be to do it using a cell that has 2 different messages that need to be different colors.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back