How to group and display pivot data by months for unstructured periods that cover several months

BatEmo

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Guys,
I have an interesting case that is almost making me start drinking…..
I have an OCM (organizational change management) plan, containing the following columns:
  • Task
  • Task Category
  • Start Date
  • End Date
  • Stakeholder Group
  • Expected Commitment (in hours)
I have linked the table to a pivot and created a Line chart from the pivot. Next steps are to add slicers and timelines, so the whole thing is a bit more interactive (and have a complete dashboard with different metrics). Goal is to be able to present to the Management team what commitment is needed from the different stakeholder groups on a monthly basis.

The problem is that many of the tasks that I have in my plan involve weekly meetings and the start and end date are in different months. So, for example I have a task, called “Weekly Meeting with the Business SMEs”, where e.g. start is 02.01.2022 and end date is 09.05.2022. Those meetings will be 1 hour long, so I enter 18 hours as total commitment needed from the SMEs for the above period. The goal is to get the relevant number of hours e.g. for March, when I select March in the timeline. If I link the whole thing with the start, or the end date of the period, it shows me 18 hours needed in Jan, or respectively in May, whereas I need it to take into consideration the Expected Commitment and the number of months in the period and show e.g. 4 hours for Jan, 4 hours for Feb, 4 for March, 4 for April and 2 for May.
Any ideas how I can do this?
Thanks,
Emo

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
disappointing, but if your “Weekly Meeting with the Business SMEs” is every week on friday for 1 hour, the best option is to add a row on every friday instead of 1 row for the whole project = 18 rows instead of 1 !
In that way, the hours for every month are assigned to the right month.

Upvote 0
I guess that could be an option, yes. That's a good plan B, thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back