How to group consecutive and non consecutive phone numbers

traveler84

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Off and on for many years, I've battled an issue and I'm hoping someone might have more ridges in their brain than me.

I have a large list of phone numbers in order. What I need to do is group consecutive ranges into a format of ##########-####. Everything is standard in column A with normal formatting with no fancy codes. Literally just the phone numbers.

Example:

Output:
5550001111-1112
5550001114-1115

I have thousands of phone numbers that I have to find those breaks. I often cheat a little by using a =IF(A2-A1=1),"RANGE","NOT RANGE." Or I might use MID to do the same with the last 4 values depending on my flavor of the day.

My experiments:

I've figured out how to identify if a number is consecutive and flag it as such.

I have used conditional formatting, copied into WORD and back into excel, then used a VBA formula to find where each break is in the list of TNs by identifying the color code.

Issue:

I can't seem to figure out how if I say I have 5 or 50 in a range, how to output them out as such and also identify the non ranges in a list. Is there a VBA script that could help with this?

The previous code did not handle properly.
OK, I see what you are saying. I suppose it depends on what 'properly' means. To me, the sample data in post #12 is one group of sequential numbers making one group. You are interpreting it as two separate groups of sequential numbers. Not sure what the OP thinks in that situation, or even if that situation is possible in their data? :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
My reasoning is based upon the numbers being phone numbers with the first 6 being phone/area codes (and bearing in mind the OP's requirement re the last 4 numbers).

Upvote 0
My reasoning is based upon the numbers being phone numbers with the first 6 being phone/area codes
That is not the case here in Australia but may well be in your and/or the OP's country.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back