How to have Column in a table automatically fill specific text when a new row is added?

Jfreshh330

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I have a table in the below images so that when I fill out the fields in columns B, D, F, H, J, L, & M, that the formula in Column N will take each of those cells in that row and add an underscore "_" between them. In row 2 I have an example of the end result (N2)

I have to manually add in the underscores in each column for each new row so I was wondering if there is a way to automatically fill the cell with a _ when a new row is added to the table? (I know I don’t need to have multiple columns for the underscores _ I just did it this way to show how the formula would calculate it.)

Also in Column A, where I have each line numbered, whenever I add a new row by typing the next cell down in column B, that in Column A, it would automatically auto fill the numbers. I made sure I had everything checked in the AutoCorrect options as well.

Any advice?

Thank you!

F366FB80-BF82-4259-BB44-CA294D3E06E1.jpeg

af099af7-7e2a-4ab3-ab7e-8d874cf8d589-jpeg.42751

0548E649-DFA7-42C0-9313-D4A985A0A744.png

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)
Ahh I didnt even notice that, thanks! I’m using Excel 2016 16.0.13801.20772 for Windows 10.

Upvote 0
In that case rather than having a load of columns with just an underscore, why not use the Concatenate function like
Excel Formula:
=B2&"_"&D2&"_"&F2
but using structured references rather than ranges.

Upvote 0
Solution
In that case rather than having a load of columns with just an underscore, why not use the Concatenate function like
Excel Formula:
=B2&"_"&D2&"_"&F2
but using structured references rather than ranges.
Omg thank you! This probably seemed obvious for a lot of you but I’m still learning ?

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back