How to have the X axis label of a graph be hidden if the value is zero without actually hiding it?

hmmmidk220

Board Regular
Is this possible?

I have a bar graph with Costs on the x axis and values on the y axis. Cost 2 (the 2nd x axis label) has a zero value while all the other x axis labels have non zero values. I want cost 2 to be automatically hidden when there is a zero value for it.

I know I can manually hide it, but I'm looking for an automatic solution. I've spent hours online looking for a solution, but can't find anything that works. I don't want to use VBA, as I don't want other people that use it to have to worry about running code. I've read that #N/A seems to be ignored by excel but I can't get that to work (the x axis label always stays there)

Is this possible in excel 2010???

Thank you!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Do you mean you want to exclude the space for the bar, or just take the label off the X axis? if the latter, what about setting up dummy labels that rely on a formula?

For example:
A1:D1 contain actual X values (Cost 1, Cost 2 etc)
A2:D2 contains a formula - for A2 it would be =IF(A3=0,"",A1) - and copied right
A3:D3 contains your data (Y values)

For the bar graph, the data range is A2:D3.

Regards

Murray

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. I mean the actual space for the bar. Your method does well at removing the label, but there is a very obvious space there and that is what I want to remove. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
How are your data arranged? If in columns then the simplest way is to use Autofilter to filter out the zeros.

So for example, A1:B1 contain column headers
A2:A5 contain X values (labels)
B2:B5 contain data values

Data, Filter, and set the filter on Column B to exclude zeroes.

Use the resultant range (which will have rows containing zeroes hidden) as the range for your chart.

Regards

Murray

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back