How to identify the row number that a text cell is in?

MLSNetworks

Is there a formula to identify what row number a certain cell is in? I have a column that has that has the word Yes in some of the cells and I want to know what row number those Yes cells are in. Is there are way to get this? I'm inclined to say there isn't but I thought I'd ask this forum in case there is someone that knows.

I've uploaded an image as an example of what I'm talking about. I have the word Yes in rows 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 20, 21 and I want to know if there is a formula that would identify what row number this text is in. My excel file has 19 tabs with the word Yes in the sheet in multiple places and I don't want to manually write down what row these are in. This may sound like a crazy request but the reason why I need to do this is prepare the formatting to be uploaded into RFPIO (Request for Proposal Input Output) software program.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Row Identification.png
    Row Identification.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 24

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Depends if you have an up to date version of excel, based on what I see in your screen capture, array confirmed with Ctrl Shift Enter.

=TEXTJOIN(", ",1,IF(A2:A21="Yes",ROW(A2:A21),""))

If it shows #NAME? then it means that your version of excel doesn't have the TEXTJOIN function.

Upvote 0
Solution
My excel file has 19 tabs with the word Yes in the sheet in multiple places
Always in column A?
Where do you want the result?
How do you want the result?
What happens if 2 sheets have "Yes" in the same row?

Upvote 0
Is there a formula to identify what row number a certain cell is in? I have a column that has that has the word Yes in some of the cells and I want to know what row number those Yes cells are in. Is there are way to get this? I'm inclined to say there isn't but I thought I'd ask this forum in case there is someone that knows.

I've uploaded an image as an example of what I'm talking about. I have the word Yes in rows 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 20, 21 and I want to know if there is a formula that would identify what row number this text is in. My excel file has 19 tabs with the word Yes in the sheet in multiple places and I don't want to manually write down what row these are in. This may sound like a crazy request but the reason why I need to do this is prepare the formatting to be uploaded into RFPIO (Request for Proposal Input Output) software program.

Thanks for any help!
Thanks Jason, this worked! Brilliant. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
Always in column A?
Where do you want the result?
How do you want the result?
What happens if 2 sheets have "Yes" in the same row?
Thanks DanteAmor, I got the answer from jasonb75 which worked but I really appreciate your prompt reply. Thank you!

Upvote 0
I got the answer from jasonb75 which worked
If you want an answer then take the first reply, if you want a solution then take every reply and see which works best.

I have a rough idea of what @DanteAmor has in mind based on the questions that he asked, if I'm correct then it might be a better option for what you're doing than the formula that I suggested.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back