How to keep the UPPERCASE part, discarding/deleting the lowercase in a selection, with macros?

Kwawa

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have to deal frequently with data containing a column with several names written like this:

SURNAME Name
DOE John
DE NIRO Robert
SMITH Robert James

I need to rewrite them al in this format:

SURNAME N.
DOE J.
DE NIRO R.
SMITH R.J.

So I need to keep intact the uppercase part and put a dot after every first letter on the name/s.
How should I arrange a macro (or a sequence of macros) to do this?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Would something like this do for you ? (I should add that I assume names are all in Col A, and be careful, as I output them in my test to Column G at the end. But you can switch to Col A to overwrite originals if you wish). Just dont overwrite any of your data off to the right in Col G ...

VBA Code:
Sub name_change()

Dim input_name As String
Dim nameArray() As String

lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.count, 1).End(xlUp).Row 'use Col A (1) to check for last row number

For x = 1 To lastrow

input_name = Range("A" & x)

nameArray = Split(input_name, " ") 'put the input name into an array of names

no_of_names = (UBound(nameArray(), 1)) + 1 '(array starts at zero, so add 1 for counting)

lastname = nameArray(0) & " " 'lastname is always in Caps, so store it from the first array element(0)

For y = 1 To no_of_names - 1 'set this count to loop through each name in the cell

If (nameArray(y) <> UCase(nameArray(y))) Then 'if the name is not uppercase,
            nameArray(y) = Left(nameArray(y), 1) 'then delete all characters except the initial
        End If

If (Len(nameArray(y)) > 1) Then nameArray(y) = nameArray(y) & " " 'add a " " after the name if its NOT an initial

lastname = lastname & nameArray(y) 'append the name, or initial onto the lastname to build the final answer

Next y

lastname = lastname & "." 'all names completed, so add the "." at the end
    Range("G" & x).Value = lastname 'show it in col G.
Next x

End Sub

Upvote 0
@Kwawa Welcome.
Not a lot different to Rob's solution above. I've done it so I'll post it.
If the names that you quote are typical and you wish to re-write a column of names then maybe like below.

VBA Code:
Dim Arry As Variant
Dim c As Long
Dim lr As Long
Dim cell As Range

'Assumes names in column A edit to suit
lr = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    For Each cell In Range("A2:A" & lr)
        Arry = Split(cell, " ")
            For c = 0 To UBound(Arry)
                If Not Arry(c) = UCase(Arry(c)) Then
                    Arry(c) = Left(Arry(c), 1) & "."
                    Else: Arry(c) = Arry(c) '& " "
                End If
            Next
        cell = Join(Arry)

Next cell
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
.. I also just added another check in case somehow you have a list of "mixed" names ie. some that are processed already, versus new ones added to the bottom

VBA Code:
Sub name_change()

Dim input_name As String
Dim nameArray() As String

lastrow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.count, 1).End(xlUp).Row 'use Col A (1) to check for last row number

For x = 1 To lastrow

input_name = Range("A" & x)
    If (Right(input_name, 1) <> ".") Then 'check to see if name was processed previously

nameArray = Split(input_name, " ") 'put the input name into an array of names
        no_of_names = (UBound(nameArray(), 1)) + 1 '(array starts at zero, so add 1 for counting)

lastname = nameArray(0) & " " 'lastname is always in Caps, so store it from the first array element(0)

For y = 1 To no_of_names - 1 'set this count to loop through each name in the cell
            If (nameArray(y) <> UCase(nameArray(y))) Then 'if the name is not uppercase,
                nameArray(y) = Left(nameArray(y), 1) 'then delete all characters except the initial
            End If
            If (Len(nameArray(y)) > 1) Then nameArray(y) = nameArray(y) & " " 'add a " " after the name if its NOT an initial
            lastname = lastname & nameArray(y) 'append the name, or initial onto the lastname to build the final answer
        Next y

lastname = lastname & "." 'all names completed, so add the "." at the end
        Range("G" & x).Value = lastname 'show it in col G.

End If

Next x

End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Rob and Snake, thanks for the welcome first of all.
All provided macros above work like a charm.

I owe you both a cup of coffee!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back