How to look up data for a cell in a Pivot Table

thoaingan

I have some raw data as shown in Image 1. I created a Pivot Table for it, mainly just for formatting purposes (the ability to nicely group and expand the sub-items). The Pivot Table is shown in Image 2.

I need to display the LastUsageTime for each of the items (UsageName) listed in the Pivot Table. It is simply a lookup of the LastUsageTime column from the Raw Data sheet. Therefore, I cannot add this column to the Pivot Table because the PT wants me to use one of the aggregate functions. I can't do a VLOOKUP either since each of those items is not unique by itself (for example, "WIT - Bug" appears multiple times in Raw Data). However, the combination of columns TPC+TeamProjectName+UsageName is unique.

How should I do the lookup to retrieve the LastUsageTime data?

Thanks for any help!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
The images are missing!

But for now: in a cell you can pick a value from a pivot by typing "=" in the formula box and click the required pivot cell.
This will setup the getpivotdata function for you (in my case =GETPIVOTDATA("Value",Pivots!$A$4,"Per",2,"Cost Ctr",13210,"Cost Elem.",41400002)).
With this you can find all data you need to lookup your date from the raw data.
I assume you know how to lookup using multiple columns (SUMIFS(), create combined columns for VLOOKUP etc).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The images are missing!

But for now: in a cell you can pick a value from a pivot by typing "=" in the formula box and click the required pivot cell.
This will setup the getpivotdata function for you (in my case =GETPIVOTDATA("Value",Pivots!$A$4,"Per",2,"Cost Ctr",13210,"Cost Elem.",41400002)).
With this you can find all data you need to lookup your date from the raw data.
I assume you know how to lookup using multiple columns (SUMIFS(), create combined columns for VLOOKUP etc).

Hi Paul,
Your suggestion won't work for me since the cell that I need to do the lookup for (UsageName) is in the ROWS section of the Pivot (not the VALUES section). I hope you can see the images from the Google Drive links I posted earlier. Excel will give me the GETPIVOTDATA if I click the cell in the VALUES section, but not the cells in ROWS, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Angie

Upvote 0
Hi Angie,

Can you convert the LastUsageTime column to Excel data or add another column with that converted date?
I think you can add the this column using the max function.
If there is only one value, the max won't harm it, otherwise you will get the last date.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeerMan23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back