How to make a cell value dynamic when the referred value changes?

bncoxuk

Hi, good weekend!

I have a very short question. In cell A1 of Sheet2, the value is static text: Sheet1!B:B, which means that it refers to column B of Sheet1. As this is a static text, it will not change even when new columns are added before column A of Sheet1. How do I use a formula to make cell A1 of Sheet2 automatically update when new columns are added in Sheet1? I know named range can make this happen, but I prefer to use a formula to accomplish this.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I'm guessing that you already have a formula using INDIRECT that references A1 to get the Sheet1!B:B reference.
Can you post that formula?
There may be a better way..

Upvote 0
I'm guessing that you already have a formula using INDIRECT that references A1 to get the Sheet1!B:B reference.
Can you post that formula?
There may be a better way..

Yes, that's exactly right :) I have a formula that already uses INDIRECT:

=MATCH(DATEVALUE("30-Jun-2012"),INDIRECT(A1),0)

What I hope to achieve is that I make a template with many calculation functions such as above. Then someone can simply specify in cell A1 of Sheet2 which columns they want to use from Sheet1 (e.g. Sheet1!B:B)

Upvote 0
Would it be simpler for your users if they were to type in a Header Value instead of Column ?

Say Sheet1 has headers like, Name Address Number etc..
And the user could just type (or select from a dropdown menu) the Header name they want ?

That would be much easier for the formula to handle dynamically.

Upvote 0
Would it be simpler for your users if they were to type in a Header Value instead of Column ?

Say Sheet1 has headers like, Name Address Number etc..
And the user could just type (or select from a dropdown menu) the Header name they want ?

That would be much easier for the formula to handle dynamically.

Hi Jonmo1, yes. I totally agree that your idea is a better one. So maybe I make it as:

=MATCH(DATEVALUE("30-Jun-2012"),OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,0,MATCH(A1,Sheet1!$1:$1,0)-1,1000,1),0)

So a user just specify the head name in cell A1 and the result will be shown directly.

Upvote 0
That's almost exactly what I was going to suggest..
But I would use index instead of offset

=MATCH(DATEVALUE("30-Jun-2012"),INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$Z$1000,0,MATCH(Sheet2!$A$1,Sheet1!$A$1:$Z$1,0)),0)

Upvote 0
That's almost exactly what I was going to suggest..
But I would use index instead of offset

=MATCH(DATEVALUE("30-Jun-2012"),INDEX(Sheet1!$A$1:$Z$1000,0,MATCH(Sheet2!$A$1,Sheet1!$A$1:$Z$1,0)),0)

Thanks, Jonmo1. I learned!

Upvote 0
While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule #10 here along with the explanation: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99490). This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Cross-post here:

How to make a cell value dynamic when the referred value changes?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back