How to open two excel windows

Sasquatch1413

I've got two screens at work and I can't figure out how to open two excel files in two different excel windows. When you open a second file, it opens in the same window. Can you open two windows at a time like you can with Word?

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi & Welcome to the Board!

You could:

1. Open another instance of Excel and drag it onto your second screen

2. Stretch Excel across both screens, and then use Window>Arrange to arrange your Excel sheets across both screens. The benefit of this approach is that both sheets will be open in the same instance of Excel so, for instance, copy and pasting values alone is possible.

Upvote 0
Start, Programs, go to wherever your Microsoft Excel link is and click it.
Repeat a 2nd time.

Upvote 0
Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Excel, or you can create a shortcut on your desktop or your quicklaunch bar on your taskbar. You have to open excel rather than just double clicking a file, because a new file opening up will always be captured by one of the open instances of excel rather than creating a new instance.

HTH,
~Gold Fish

Upvote 0
Took me awhile to figure it out as well. I use 4 screens myself (not all for Excel, but sometimes so)

All suggestions should help you.

One More: It could be that when you open two instances of Excel, one is showing up over the other.

Minimize one of them and drag to the other screen.

Harry

Upvote 0
Yeah i feel kinda dumb. I never tried just opening another instance from the start menu. When you open multiple files, they open in the same instance, so I just assumed. Anyway I got it working, thanks all for the help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back