How to open xls file?

BOBBYDILINGERs

When I’m trying to open Excel file, it says: “The file is corrupt cannot be opened.” It’s very strange, because there’s no virus on my computer, and there were no “reboots”. How to make it open again? Plz help! I use win7 64 bit, Microsoft Essentials and office 2010. Could it be the virus what caused this problem? But I doubt that Microsoft Essentials, didn’t found it. Any way I can’t open my Excel file. And I need some professional help or help of somebody who knows how to solve my problem. I’ll be glad to see any answers to my thread.

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Something similar happened to one of my co-workers recently. He emailed me a file and it would open on my computer. However, the file he sent stopped working on his computer and said it was corrupt. When I sent the file back to him that worked properly on my computer, his computer still read it to be corrupt. In the end we copied the data out of the file he sent me and pasted it in a new workbook. The other option we looked at was using a historical version of the file. If this is happening in the workplace, it may be worth speaking to the IT department at your work. Most IT Departments regularly backup shared drives...etc.

Upvote 0
Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Uninstall a program under Programs and Features.
2. Select Microsoft Office.
3. Click Change, and then wait while the change and repair is carried out.
4. Exit after the process is completed.
5. Double-click the Excel file that you want to open or open the file through an HTML link as you could by using previous versions of the program.
That’s Microsoft advice.
My advice to you, try to install some recovery tool, for example free demo of recovery tooIbox for Excel. Full program is not free, but demo is enough for your problem, I suppose. You can download it here: How to repair Excel file? How to repair Excel files? Best from Excel repair tools If it doesn’t help read this topic. There is some more ways to recover your .xls file. How to repair and recover corrupt MS excel file?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back