How to optimize Index Match , for large sets of data ?

asweare

Hello
I have formula that's working fine in small data but now I have to use in a large data set so I really need a way to optimize the formula.

the table is like this,

RefNameHeightStrengthWeight
1A15012060
2B15012060
3C1101060
4D18020080

<tbody>
</tbody>

and When I tried to look for
Ref 1's height.

using index and match

=index([Height],match(Search Cell Number, Ref)

and I get the right one.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tip-jl5Y0e6LWJJIyS3B8r97hqSmz_uS

please help thanks all for reading my post

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
you can check out my table in google drive. Open with excel with more detail with the formula I am using.
I really need to optimize this to run faster.
it is so slow to work with for working with such large data

Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-pr...imize-index-match-for-large-sets-of-data.html

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0
Not much that can help when using worksheet functions.
If building a new table and adding to a table where the calculation is done once, then run the calculations and convert to values.
PowerQuery (GetAndTransform) does this to an extent too, though is much easier to update. Can update to anew table to maintain most worksheet methods.

Upvote 0
sorry about this,
https://www.excelforum.com/excel-pr...match-for-large-sets-of-data.html#post5034729

i posted similar question before this, without knowing the details.

still i haven't got the answer i need it,

if it is okay I really like to get some help thank you.

Hi,
You cannot opimize the funcions itself, because excel uses it on the cells level and everytime you change sth in the cel, excel calculates all the formuals. In my opinion, you should either use PowerBI tool or write a macro for fetching the values from one table to another. However, in order to have the makro very fast running, you should use arrays for both tables in order to put the data into RAM and search for the values in arrays not on the object level (for i, for each etc). Having calculation in arrays will very optimize your work even on large amount of data.

Regards,
Sebastian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back