How to Override Conditional Formats

JARHTMD

Board Regular
I hope I can explain this situation in an understandable way. I'm using Excel 2007.

For several columns I have conditional formatting (fill cell with white) if it contains the high or low value within a range in that column. There is a row for each date (day) of the year. A 1st-time (& totally unexpected) situation has arisen in which values in several specific columns for a date are zero. This has never happened before. I want to flag these cells by filling with red. Actually, I would like to fill the entire row with red, but some columns are locked, which I assume will further complicate the situation.

Since this a very rare situation, I don't want to change all my formulae, conditional formatting, etc., because it would really, really complicate a situation, which might be the result of corrupt data from another system which I do not control. Maybe it's not my workbook that's broken. Whatever the cause, I'd like to call attention to the numbers.

I would like to simply do it manually & change only 1 row. However, since conditional formatting seems to be done last, it overrides my "manual formatting". I could highlight other cells in the row by filling them with red. That would "call attention" to the unusual situation.

I'd like to highlight 4 specific cells which, in this case, happen to have conditional formatting.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Add another CF condition that will turn the row red if there is a 0 and make that the first condition.

Upvote 0
Thanks to both of you for your quick replies.

My original work on this sheet was done several years ago. I rarely work with the nitty-gritty of Excel design anymore. I'm an "old fart" & have forgotten a lot about Excel, that used to be 2nd nature for me.

I think that for the rare occasions that this might happen, the simplest approach (for me, at this time) will be to manually change the single row that requires attention, w/o trying to program for the possibility that it may happen on any given date. I see this data almost daily & the highlighting is for later review (maybe quarterly or annually).

I've decided to (manually) format a bold border around several cells in the row (including the 4 zero cells with CF, along with 3-4 other cells). The non-CF cells will be filled with red.

I agree that's a cop-out, but works for me now. Hopefully, it will remain infrequent enough that I won't have to revisit it in the future.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back