How to perform calculation once only in spreadsheet

n_davies

I nave a number of calculations being performed that include a single value from a common cell. When I change that value I don't want all my old calculations to recalculate, only the new ones after the change.

How can I disable calculation on certain cells after they have been performed once?

Appreciate any help with this.

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi n_davies,

Excel has no provision to turn calculation off on just certain cells. However, what you want to accomplish should be possible with a custom macro. But the approach would depend on whether you want the cells to be able to calculate again if the workbook is closed and reopened, or do you want to forever disable them? In the latter case the macro could simply delete the formula, leaving the last computed value in the cell. Also, what if a cell calculates, but its value doesn't change? What if the worksheet calculates, but not one of the cells of interest? Would you still want the cells locked in these cases?

Damon

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Damon.

The ideal way I want this to function is to protect the already calculated cells and preserve the values. I was then hoping to add a macro to re-enable the calculation on those cells when required.

I have thought of using the sumif command by checking to see if the value in the cell is equal to zero before performing the calculation but this takes me into a circular reference problem.

Looks like I'll have to leave it.

Thanks for your help.

Nigel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcus05

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back