How to prevent any typing in a data validation field

Rozalyn

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello. I have a field using data validation. However I don't want the user to be able to type anything in this field (even a valid entry). They *have* to choose from the data list. The reason for this is because I already have a vlookup formula in this cell which populates it with a default entry based on another cell. If the user doesn't like the default entry, they can choose another entry from the list. But if they type data into the field, it will overwrite the formula and then it won't work the next time. Is this possible? Thanks!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
Hello. I have a field using data validation. However I don't want the user to be able to type anything in this field (even a valid entry). They *have* to choose from the data list. The reason for this is because I already have a vlookup formula in this cell which populates it with a default entry based on another cell. If the user doesn't like the default entry, they can choose another entry from the list. But if they type data into the field, it will overwrite the formula and then it won't work the next time. Is this possible? Thanks!

Never mind. I didn't realize that if the user doesn't like the default entry and they choose something else from the list, it overrides the formula anyway. So if the user selects another value from the list, or if they type in another value from the list, either way the formula is overwritten.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back