How to Prevent Artifacts Appearing in MS Word?

sunroc

Hi Forum,

I have a problem that I am sure has a simple explanation. I often make tables in Excel and copy/paste them into word for presentations.

Sometimes various artifacts appear in the table in Word that are invisible in Excel. Also, sometimes small portions of borders disappear when the table is transferred from Excel to Word. During the conversion from Word to PDF a couple more artifacts creep in.

Below is an image of such a situation all 3 of the problems just described occur. The table is shown in 3 different stages;
(1) in Excel
(2) in Word after being copy/pasted from Excel
(3) In PDF format after being "printed" to PDF from Word. (3 new artifacts appear along the bottom of the table.)

Does anyone recognize what I am doing wrong in order to produce this effect?

Excel-Table-Artifacts-in-MS-Word.jpg

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
As a suggestion when you copy the data from Excel have you tried using Paste Special in Word and tried Paste Link and use the RTF Format to see that helps, if it works then the print to PDF show work as well.

Upvote 0
Thanks Trevor G,

I am embarrassed to admit that you lost me with "Paste Link and use the RTF Format" but the "Paste Special" part got me thinking. "Paste Special" is not an option in the context menu in Word when I right-click. But what I was able to do was use the Paste Options menu that appears just after performing a normal paste and one of the options there is "Paste as Picture". That got the look I need.

On the other hand, I understand that now one can select text inside the table now that it is an image. So while this solves the visual effect of the artifacts it also limits functionality of the document.

So the long and the short of it is that I can go forward with the solution I now have but If you care to give me a little explanation of the "Paste Link and use the RTF Format" I am all ears.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
OK which version of Office are you using?

If 2003 or less, highlight the data in Excel and Copy then switch to Word and from the Edit Menu select Paste Special, then on the left select the circle that says Paste Link and from the list of options select Formatted (RTF) this means Rich Text Format so, if you have colours etc in Excel they also come across into your Word document.

If using Office 2007 or 2010 once you copy the data and switch into Word on the Home Tab you will see the Paste symbol on the left with a drop down arrow you click this and then use Paste Special.

Paste Special is not associated to the Right mouse button shortcut menu, you need to use the full menu or Ribbon if 2007 etc.

Hope that helps you further.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back