Special K

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Suppose I have the following range object defined:

Code:
Set test_range = Range(Cells(test_row_start, test_col), Cells(test_row_end, test_col))

Suppose test_range maps to the range A1:A10 (i.e. test_row_start = 1, test_col = 1, test_row_end = 10). How can I display "A1:A10" in a popup box for debug purposes?

I have already tried this:

Code:
MsgBox "test_range = " & test_range

but receive a "type mismatch" error.

The following also generates a "type mismatch" error:

Code:
MsgBox "test_range = " & CStr(test_range)

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Thanks.

This works:

Code:
MsgBox "test_range = " & test_range.Address

Upvote 0
Great. VBA's help has info on address. So you can have the result in different ways. I've tried to copy it below to give the idea, though best to refer to help.

regards

Excel Developer Reference
Range.Address Property

<tbody>
</tbody>

Returns a String value that represents the range reference in the language of the macro.Syntax
expression.Address(RowAbsolute, ColumnAbsolute, ReferenceStyle, External, RelativeTo)
expression A variable that represents a Range object.
Parameters
NameRequired/OptionalData TypeDescription
RowAbsoluteOptionalVariantTrue to return the row part of the reference as an absolute reference. The default value is True.
ColumnAbsoluteOptionalVariantTrue to return the column part of the reference as an absolute reference. The default value is True.
ReferenceStyleOptionalXlReferenceStyleThe reference style. The default value is xlA1.
ExternalOptionalVariantTrue to return an external reference. False to return a local reference. The default value is False.
RelativeToOptionalVariantIf RowAbsolute and ColumnAbsolute are False, and ReferenceStyle is xlR1C1, you must include a starting point for the relative reference. This argument is a Range object that defines the starting point.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Remarks

If the reference contains more than one cell, RowAbsolute and ColumnAbsolute apply to all rows and columns.
Example

The following example displays four different representations of the same cell address on Sheet1. The comments in the example are the addresses that will be displayed in the message boxes.

Upvote 0
this may be what you asked for

Code:
Sub aaaa()

Dim i As Integer
    Dim msg As String

debug.print "this prints to Immediate window in VBA editor, best for debugging"

For i = 1 To 10
    '    msg = msg & i & vbTab & Cells(1, 1).Cells(1, i).Value & vbCrLf
        msg = msg & i & vbTab & Cells(test_row_start, test_col).Cells(1, i).Value & vbCrLf
    Next i

MsgBox msg

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back