How to pull part of a pivot table field

Rhino_Dance

Board Regular
I'm working in a pivot table in Excel 2010 with a field called 'GLNum' that holds a General Ledger Number which looks like this: '101-4567-999'. I'd like to create some sort of calculation in the pivot table which will return the first 3 characters of the GLNum. I tried to do this as a Calculated Field by entering left(GlNum,3) but this returns '0' for all entries. A Calculated Item doesn't work either as that only allows you to manipulate actual dimension values, like adding 5 different GLNums together as a group.

Any ideas on how I can accomplish this?

There are reasons why I want to do this in the pivot table and not in the underlying data which go beyond the scope of this posting. Thanks for any suggestions.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I appreciate everyone's help. The data that I'm pulling into the pivot table is actually from a SQL Server MDX cube. (MS Analysis Services). So that's why I can't manipulate it and that's why I'm interested in data manipulation directly in the pivot table. I realize that the main avenue to explore in solving this problem is using MDX (Mulit-Dimensional eXpression) language. But my first question is how I would take the 3 leftmost characters even if I was using a 'normal' pivot table that sourced its data from a table of data located directly in the spreadsheet. If I can first answer that question then I can use that answer to tackle the MDX question. So I'm basically wondering if there's a way to pull these 3 characters without using MDX. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Fazza,
Thanks for your help. I just got it to work by going directly thru MS Query first, rather trying to construct the pivot table first. At the very least I can pull my cube data down to an Excel sheet and then use MS Query to requery the data and pull off the 3 left most characters by using Sql.

Is there a way to award point for answers on this board? I don't see that capability anywhere...

Upvote 0
Well done. No award points but there is something about liking: I think a simple thank you is enough, though.

With the use of MS Query to pull the data and then a requery with MS Query, couldn't that be done in one step? Just add the extra field LEFT(GLNum,3) in the first query's select clause.

BTW, going straight to the pivot table has been around for 15+ years so there should be something like that in Excel 2010: just a matter of finding it!!

cheers

Upvote 0
Fazza, Thanks again. Please read 4 posts back. My recent work is sourcing the data from a cube and I'm experimenting with ways to pull off the 3 characters. But I wanted to know how to do it whether I'm pulling from a cube or whether I'm pulling from a local or Sql data table. This discussion has actually given me a great solution to an entirely separate problem as well. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back