How to pull unspecified number of cells matching certain criteria into another workbook

Rusty315

Board Regular
Hi, I'm not sure if I can clearly explain what I'm trying to do so please forgive me if I'm unclear, happy to clarify any points. Secondly, I don't know how to use any VB (not yet, I will learn!)

I have a sheet in Workbook 1 that contains dates in column A, magazine title in column B and text (comments) in column C. There may be as little as 2 or 3 comments for each unique combination of dates & magazine titles or there may be as many as 10 comments. This is unpredictable. In Workbook 2 (completely separate), I want to be able to enter a date in one cell, magazine title in another cell and have all comments with that combination of date & title returned in a list.

13/4/12Metal MagazineNo sales, high turnover, editorial complete
13/4/12Metal MagazineJoe Blow resigned, new hire starting next week
13/4/12Wood MagazineFound new editor, rebranding finalized, going to press next week
20/4/12Metal MagazineHigh sales, hitting target, photographer commissioned for trade show
20/4/12Wood MagazineExcellent sales, photos are crap, new hire started
20/4/12Wood MagazineSenior editor on board, reviewed P&L, new photo editor starting in two weeks
20/4/12Wood MagazineFound premises for photo shoot, team lunch today, $1,200 in beer to be expensed
20/4/12 Wood MagazineFired entire team for spending $1,200 on beer, recruiting new team today

<tbody>
</tbody>

This is an example of the sheet in workbook 1. Because there are an unpredictable number of comments for each combination of date & magazine title sitting in unpredictable cells, I don't know how to pull all comments for specific combinations of date & magazine title into Workbook 2.

Is there a way to do this without using VB? If not, how hard is it to do in VB?

Sorry for the long explanation, hope someone can help! Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Can't you just AutoFilter your data for Date and magazine? You can copy the visible cells to another worksheet if you want.

Upvote 0
Can't you just AutoFilter your data for Date and magazine? You can copy the visible cells to another worksheet if you want.

Hi Andrew, I thought about that. The problem is that three different leaders enter comments every week for several of their own titles into their own workbooks and these are reviewed by a senior manager alongside some performance data for all the titles which resides in another workbook. Putting all the comments for all the titles onto one sheet will lead to well over 100 comments being entered on it every week (well over 400 entries every month). I'm also trying to eliminate manual handling of the data for the senior manager (cut & paste and so on) so I was hoping to be able to make it easy for him to pull up the comments while he's using the workbook containing the performance data by selecting the date and the title from a drop down list.

Sounds like I may have to come up with a solution using the filter.

Appreciate your help Andrew, thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back