How to read a row or column range with the same code?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working on a couple of UDFs that process a list of values in sheet cells. The problem is that the list could be in a row (D5:G5) or a column (D5:D25).

If I process the cells one at a time from the sheet, I have to know whether to increment the row or column numbers. If I read the entire range into an array, I get either a 1xN or Nx1 array so I need to know whether to increment the first or second dimension.

Question #1: If I process the cells one at a time from the sheet, I am using code like this which loops through both the rows and columns, one of which will be a 1 iteration loop.
VBA Code:
NumRows = Range(RangeName).Rows.Count
NumCols = Range(RangeName).Columns.Count
For i = 1 to NumRows
  For j = 1 to NumCols
    Data = Range(RangeName).Cells(i, j).Value
  Next J
 Next i
Is there a better way to do this?

Question #2: If I read the range into an array, I can use similar code to loop thru both dimensions, but
  1. Is there a way I can read a range that is either a single ow or a single column into a one dimensional array.
  2. Is there a way I can convert a 1xN array or an Nx1 array into a one dimensional array?
  3. Is there a way I can "transpose" a 1xN array into an Nx1 array?

Question #3: Is it more efficient to read the entire range into an array and process it there (second question above) vs reading the cells one at a time from the sheet (first question above)?

Thanks for any help

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Question #1: if you have few cells (<100-500) I shouldn't bother about "the fastest" way

#2-1 You have to declare a one dimensional array and then populate it cell by cell; or populate an Array and the use #2-2
#2-2 You may use Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(myArray,xx,0); this will return all the columns of row xx; if you use 0,xx you will get all rows of column xx
#2-3 I guess you now know that you can use Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose

Bye

Upvote 0
Hi,
just something for you to try - have play with following & see if of any help to you

You pass an argument to function (xlRows = 1, or xlColumns = 2) to return the area of the range you want

VBA Code:
Function GetRange(ByVal RowCol As XlRowCol) As Variant
    GetRange = Range("D5:G5,D5:D25").Areas(RowCol).Value
End Function

Sub ByRows()
    Dim cell As Variant
    For Each cell In GetRange(xlRows)

MsgBox cell

Next cell
End Sub

Sub ByColumns()
    Dim cell As Variant
    For Each cell In GetRange(xlColumns)

MsgBox cell

Next cell
End Sub

Dave

Upvote 0
#2-2 You may use Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(myArray,xx,0); this will return all the columns of row xx; if you use 0,xx you will get all rows of column xx
#2-3 I guess you now know that you can use Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose
#2-2: NO, not Transpose but Index, example Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(myArray,xx,0)
(This is the Excel INDEX function)
#2-3 To transpose an Array you will use Transpose, example Array1xN=Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(ArrayNx1)

Don't miss Dave's message, above

Bye

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
NumRows = Range(RangeName).Rows.Count
NumCols = Range(RangeName).Columns.Count
For i = 1 to NumRows
  For j = 1 to NumCols
    Data = Range(RangeName).Cells(i, j).Value
  Next J
 Next i
According to this 'non sense' piece of code as it is, just removing the useless, an easy way whatever the source range :​
VBA Code:
    For Each Data In Range(RangeName).Value
        ' do your stuff here as the Variant variable Data is already allocated with the For codeline …
    Next

Upvote 0
Solution
According to this 'non sense' piece of code as it is, just removing the useless, an easy way whatever the source range :​
VBA Code:
    For Each Data In Range(RangeName).Value
        ' do your stuff here as the Variant variable Data is already allocated with the For codeline …
    Next
I have been meaning to learn more about the "For each ..." syntax. I learn coding way back before everything was "structured". I've been slowly getting up to speed with modern methods.

Oh, and thanks for kind words/characterizations. :unsure:

Upvote 0
For question #2 if an one dimension array variable is really necessary (not always the case) :​
VBA Code:
        Dim V
    With Range(RangeName)
        If .Columns.Count = 1 Then V = Application.Transpose(.Cells) Else If .Rows.Count = 1 Then V = Application.Index(.Value, 1, 0) _
                                                                     Else Beep: Exit Sub
    End With
        Stop

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oh great coding guru and master of benevolence and magnanimity, does this adjusted code largely escape being characterized as "non sense" (sic) and "useless"? ;)

VBA Code:
Sub SelectionForEachTest()

Dim Weights As Range
Set Weights = Selection
Dim Weight As Variant
Dim Sum As Double
Sum = 0

For Each Weight In Selection
  Sum = Sum + Weight
Next

MsgBox Sum

End Sub

Upvote 0
This one has obviously some sense but should be achieved without any 'useless' loop with a single codeline according to Excel basics !​
For question #2 see above post #7 …​

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back