How to reference a column of data where the end row is variable?

helpneeded2

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have several ranking formulas on my sheet. The data is not in a table, and cannot be. I want to the rank reference to start at row 3, and go until it finds the end of the data. My current formula is this:

VBA Code:
=IF(A3="","",PERCENTRANK.INC(DR:DR,DR3))

I have tried to amend the range to being: DR$3:DR, however then I end up with an invalid name error.

The reason I am not doing DR:DR is because row 1 has a numeric label, and row 2 has a text header. While the RANK formulas do seem to ignore text values like my header in DR:DR, they are still ranking my data in row 1, which I do not want.

My sheet is fairly massive and have several tabs doing this same function across multiple periods of data, so I am look for the least resource intensive way of doing this.

Can someone please suggest a way to omit the first 2 columns of a RANK formula, while having no set end point?

I wasn't sure if DR:DR was just auto stopping at the last row that contains data, or if it is actually looking at every possible row (i.e. 1 million) in a column.
It looks at the entire column, virtually all functions are the same in that regard which is why it's a bad idea to use whole column references.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Glad to have helped.
Could you please link me to instruction on how I can make a generic formula on a named range. While I am setting the scope as Workbook, when I enter the formula as a named range, it still adds in a reference to the specific sheet. Even when I try deleting the specific reference, it will just add it back. I cannot find anything on Google that suggests how I can do this.

Upvote 0
Limiting the formula to 10,000 or 20,000 (or even 50,000) rows will be a lot better than looking at over 1,000,000 rows.

In the suggested fix of using the named range with =offset(DR$3,,,counta(DR:DR),1) then this may not necessarily be saving the calculation time then, since this will be scanning all 1,000,000 rows to tally the rows with data?

Upvote 0
Could you please link me to instruction on how I can make a generic formula on a named range. While I am setting the scope as Workbook, when I enter the formula as a named range, it still adds in a reference to the specific sheet. Even when I try deleting the specific reference, it will just add it back. I cannot find anything on Google that suggests how I can do this.
The named range references ’need’ the sheetname to reference the cells.

A generic format would be;
=OFFSET( [starting point] , offset row , offset column , row count , column count )

Upvote 0
That is unlikely to save any time & could make things worse as it's volatile.

Upvote 0
That is unlikely to save any time & could make things worse as it's volatile.
Thank you. I will just make the end range row a value that is referenced with an indirect, so it will be easier for me to increase the rows range in a year when the data set doubles.

i.e.

Excel Formula:
=IF(A3="","",PERCENTRANK.INC(DR$3:INDIRECT("DR$"&value_rowEndPeriods),DR3))

Upvote 0
I will just make the end range row a value that is referenced with an indirect
That will be far less efficient than the formula you were using as it's volatile & slow.
try it like
Excel Formula:
=IF(A3="","",PERCENTRANK.INC(DR$3:INDEX(DR:DR,value_rowEndPeriods),DR3))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back