How to reference Tab #2 in Tab #1 within a formula

AlternateFormula1

Background -
I have an excel document with more than three dozen tabs. It is a extremely very detailed file. Tab #1 is my master tab that pulls data from all of the other dozens of tabs to perform various calculations. In A1 of Tab #1 , I used a formula to populate the tab's name so I do not have to write it in manually and search through every single tab's name. For example, if Tab #26 is called "John Michael Smith," A1 of Tab #1 - my master tab - would automatically populate A1 to show "John Michael Smith" so I do not have to.

Question -
In A2 of Tab #1 , I want to find the median for a certain range of cells found in the "John Michael Smith" tab. Right now, this is my formula: =MEDIAN('John Michael Smith'!B3:HE3). If I want to change the formula to in Column A to show median, mean, mode, and a bunch of other things which I have already typed into the cells, instead of me manually writing "John Michael Smith" each time, is there a way for me to just reference A1 in Tab #1 so everything just gets populated automatically?

Goal -
I want my formula to look something like this:
Cell A1 =MID(CELL("filename",'John Michael Smith'!A2),FIND("]",CELL("filename",'John Michael Smith'!A2))+1,256)
Cell A2 =MEDIAN('John Michael Smith'!B3:HE3)
Cell A3 =AVG('John Michael Smith'!B3:HE3)
Cell A4 =MIN('John Michael Smith'!B3:HE3)
Cell A5 =MAX('John Michael Smith'!B3:HE3)

... but instead of me having to write in the tab name in cell A2 and so on, it should look like this (but actually work)
Cell A1 =MID(CELL("filename",'John Michael Smith'!A2),FIND("]",CELL("filename",'John Michael Smith'!A2))+1,256)
Cell A2 =MEDIAN('A1'!B3:HE3)
Cell A3 =AVG('A1'!B3:HE3)
Cell A4 =MIN('A1'!B3:HE3)
Cell A5 =MAX('A1'!B3:HE3)

HOW DO I MAKE THIS WORK???? ANY IDEAS?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Use the INDIRECT function.

=AVG("'"&A1&"'!B3:HE3")

Before A1, that's " then ' then ". Similarly, before the exclamation point, that's " then '.

Upvote 0
B1 has this: =MID(CELL("filename",'John Michael Smith'!A2),FIND("]",CELL("filename",'John Michael Smith'!A2))+1,256)
B2 has this: =MEDIAN("'"&B1&"'!B3:HE3")

... which should tell B2 to look in the tab labeled "
John Michael Smith" and calculate what the median value is for the range B3:HE3 in that tab.

I am clueless. Need help. Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Oops! I mentioned using the INDIRECT function and forgot to include it in my suggestion :/

=MEDIAN(INDIRECT("'"&B1&"'!B3:HE3"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back