How to reference text in a cell in a formula in another cell.

JAR1987

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've been given a work assignment where I need to fill out an individual tab per sales account. Some of the accounts are locations of a larger parent company.

The original template given to me by my organization requires entering data in a single column (C) answering questions/data points described in the adjacent column (B).

I made a summary sheet template for those roll-up accounts. In the summary sheet, I have a column per account (e.g. Column C = Account 1, Column D = Account 2, etc). My first approach was to simply pull in the values from the individual account tabs into a single sheet. For example, the first question I have to input data for in each account tab is "Facility Name." To call the data into the summary sheet I used a formula to call the cell data from each individual account tab.

Working Example:

QuestionAccount 1Account 2Account 3
Facility Name=Account_1!C11=Account_2!C11=Account_3!C11
Parent Company=Account_1!C12=Account_2!C12=Account_3!C12

There are a few issues with this solution. First, it's time consuming to change the formulas. Second, I expect that my leadership group who developed the original template will want to adopt this summary sheet approach as it makes viewing a whole company much easier. The level of Excel expertise is highly variable among the team, but asking people to change formulas, even if they are simple and there are instructions, won't be an effective approach.

I thought that maybe making a list below or to the right of the summary table would be a viable solution.

Hypothetical Solution:

Account NameSheet Name
Account 1Account_1
Account 2Account_2
Account 3Account_3

My hope was that I could use a similar formula to my original, but the portion of the formula that calls the sheet name would instead reference a specific cell inputted by the user on the summary table. This would allow other team members to much more simply type in the sheet names for each account, and the data would load into the summary table. That way there isn't the ask to have end users manipulate formulas.

This is what I tried, but I can't figure out a formula to make this work. Right now, I get a #REF error.

QuestionAccount 1Account 2Account 3
Facility Name='C84'!C11='C85'C11='C86'C11
Parent Company='C84'!C12='C85'C12='C86'C12

First, is this formula incorrect, or am I making another mistake to get the #REF error? If it's incorrect, could someone tell me the proper formula structure (if one exists)? If it's correct, does anyone have any guidance on why I'm getting the #REF error?

Finally, is there a better approach to this overall? The tab names could be changed to anything by any of the other team members so having standard sheet names is unfortunately not possible. The creator of the spreadsheet had a hidden summary tab where he tried to use the INDIRECT function, but it wasn't functional and he just missed deleting the tab because it was hidden. I'm not sure if he was onto something with that or not.

Any expertise anyone can share is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
this should get what you're looking for.
Excel Formula:
=INDIRECT("'"&CELLWITHSHEETNAME&"'!"&"CELLONOTHERSHEET")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back