How to remove $ and - from unused cells

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi folks, as the title says, how can I remove the $ and - from unused cells on my spreadsheet? I've uploaded a pic of what I mean - https://imgur.com/a/hsRQyPV
It looks to me like you have that column formatted as "Accounting" and that you have a formula in all of your cells that display the number 0... am I correct in this? If so, you need to change the formula not to default to a value of 0 but rather to a default value of "" instead.

Upvote 0
Yes, it was formatted with a custom formula. This is the custom one -> _("$"* #,##0.00_);_("$"* (#,##0.00);_("$"* "-"??_);_(@_)

Which I hope, adds ( ) around a negative number. Is there a way to rewrite this so it omits the '0' as you mentioned?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes, it was formatted with a custom formula. This is the custom one -> _("$"* #,##0.00_);_("$"* (#,##0.00);_("$"* "-"??_);_(@_)

Which I hope, adds ( ) around a negative number. Is there a way to rewrite this so it omits the '0' as you mentioned?
Do you have a formula in your cells? If so, show it to us as I think you will want to control things from your formula. I can make your Custom Format display nothing for 0, but it would do that for all 0's, not just the ones below your data (so, if you had an actual 0 value within your data, i think you would want the "$ -" displayed for it).

Upvote 0
Yes, I have a formula in the cells ---> =IFERROR(IF(G3="Long",M3*L3-I3*L3,I3*L3-M3*L3),"")
Based on the data that you showed us in the link you posted early, try replacing that formula with this one and I think it will solve your problem (I highlighted the changes I made in red)...

=IFERROR(IF(M3="","",IF(G3="Long",M3*L3-I3*L3,I3*L3-M3*L3)),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back