How to Remove Duplicates of a Given Row using Formula?

gordonhtfu

Here is a sample (simplified) scenario that I am trying to resolve.

Given...
 TomPeterSamSusan
Combo11213
Combo2AABA
Combo3!@#$
Combo4abbc

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 54pt" span=5 width=72><TBODY>
</TBODY>

Trying to make it into this by removing all the duplicates:
Combo1123 
Combo2AB  
Combo3!@#$
Combo4abc 

<COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 54pt" span=5 width=72><TBODY>
</TBODY>

Is there any method using formula? I am preferring formula (over macro or advanced filter) because it would dynamically update the result if the value in given table changes.

XOR LX

Hi,

You won't be able to have the original table values replaced as desired without VBA, though if you are happy with having a different table which updates to give your desired results then, assuming the original table as you give it is in the range A1:E5 (with headers in row 1 and column A), create another table (with identical dimensions and headers), enter this formula in the topleftmost cell and then copy across and down to fill the table:

=IF(COLUMNS($A:A)>SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF($B2:$E2,$B2:$E2)),"",OFFSET(B2,,SUMPRODUCT(--(FREQUENCY(MATCH($B2:B2,$B2:B2,0),MATCH($B2:B2,$B2:B2,0))>1)),,))

Regards

gordonhtfu

Hi,

You won't be able to have the original table values replaced as desired without VBA, though if you are happy with having a different table which updates to give your desired results then, assuming the original table as you give it is in the range A1:E5 (with headers in row 1 and column A), create another table (with identical dimensions and headers), enter this formula in the topleftmost cell and then copy across and down to fill the table:

=IF(COLUMNS($A:A)>SUMPRODUCT(1/COUNTIF($B2:$E2,$B2:$E2)),"",OFFSET(B2,,SUMPRODUCT(--(FREQUENCY(MATCH($B2:B2,$B2:B2,0),MATCH($B2:B2,$B2:B2,0))>1)),,))

Regards
Thank you. You are too smart.

How do you find the answer so quickly to random questions? :)

XOR LX

Probably as I am fortunate enough to be able to see order within that apparent randomness! :)

Glad I could help and thanks for the feedback.

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarBer

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics