How to remove extra lines inserted before and after pasting a link from excel to word

KezAng

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an Excel problem or a Word problem, however I've run out of options and am using MrExcel as my last resort!

I have a table of data in Excel 2010 that contains both negative and positive numbers. The table is formatting so that the negative numbers appear in red.

I need this table to appear as part of a larger Word document that will be updated daily. Word does not provide any conditional formatting whereby I can automatically have negative numbers appear in red text. Therefore, I am trying to link the the Word table to the individual cells in Excel and retain the Excel formatting. I am using the following procedure, which from my investigations, appears to be my only option:

1. copy the cell in excel
2. select paste special word
3. select paste link - HTML Format

While this option works well in terms of retaining the red text for negative numbers, the downside (and it is a major downside), is that it inserts an extra line above and below the number, effectively tripling the height of each cell in the table. I have tried pasting the link and manually removing the extra lines, however as soon as I want to update the links so as to get current data into the Word table, the extra lines appear again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
When you copy from excel, have you tried 'Link & keep source formatting' option when pasting into word? After copying from excel, just right click in word and it normally gives you about 6 paste options. One of the is this paste option. I have trialled it and it seems to work.

Upvote 0
Hi Erick,

I have tried that option and it still inserts a line before and after the number. In fact I have discovered that if I select just "keep source formatting" it only inserts a line after the number, however if I select "link & keep source formatting" I get the line before and after.

I'm thinking of giving up and just forgetting about my desire to have the negative numbers in red text... It really makes no sense to me why Microsoft do the things they do!

Upvote 0
Hi KezAng

Is there a blank line where you are pasting? When I tried it, so long as you select the whole line where you want it pasted, then it doesn't add any extra lines. Will this be workable for you if you select the entire line where you want the values pasted?

Upvote 0
Hi Erick,

Yep the contents of the cells in the table in Word that I'm pasting into, are entirely blank. I have tried your suggestion and selected the entire cell, but still not joy I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
How about removing the space altogether and paste at the end of the preceding line, ensuring to highlight the last character space

Upvote 0
Problem solved! It turned out that my column widths were too small, hence the insertion of the extra spaces above and below. I should have thought of that originally... Sorry about that. Hopefully I didn't waste too much of your time.

Thanks for your help this afternoon.

Cheers,
Kerry

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I have a similar problem when...

1. Paste a table from Excel into Word as Link - HTML format or RTF;
2. Extra line (paragraph) is added right before the table;
Note: MSO 2010 version used;

Is there anyway of removing this extra line before the table? The table is presented and updated correctly but this extra line makes the table to be separated from the previous title bullet, when p. e. changing page.

Regards,
v

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back