How to remove irrelevant months from the X axis in a bar chart?

sonic99

Hi all

I'm an absolute excel newbie, so please forgive me for my lack of knowledge...

I have values for 2018 (Jan, Feb and March) and 2019 (Jan, Feb and March). I've created a bar chart but it is displaying Months between March 2018 and 2019 which I don't want. What I'd ideally like is to have Jan 2018 and Jan 2019 side by side, and then the same for Feb and March... so I can easily see a trend. How would I go about creating a visualisation to represent these trends?

Many thanks in advance

S

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I think what would help is to put the 2018 and 2019 data into two different data series. That way the columns for each month can be beside each other like this.
Two-data-series-for-comparison-July-14-2019.jpg

A good tutorial for the basics of Excel charting is by Excel MVP Leila Gharani at https://www.xelplus.com/charts-basics/

Upvote 0
Thank you so much, Dave.

Are you able to recommend a tutorial that will help me recognise when and how to remodel my data? Eg. My data is in tabular format with each row belonging to a record, and the date column is in dd-mm-yyyy format. Or would I be able to achieve this by using a pivot table?

PS. I have thousands of records/rows.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I am not an expert at data remodeling. If you want to explore pivot tables, which may be an option for what you are describing, Excel has a good basics tutorial available when you first open Excel. Instead of selecting a file, choose the tutorial on Pivot Tables and it will walk through what they are and you should be able to determine whether that will achieve what you want.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I am not an expert at data remodeling. If you want to explore pivot tables, which may be an option for what you are describing, Excel has a good basics tutorial available when you first open Excel. Instead of selecting a file, choose the tutorial on Pivot Tables and it will walk through what they are and you should be able to determine whether that will achieve what you want.

Thank you so much

Upvote 0
Sorry to bother you again. I'm just wondering if you're able to help me as to how to add an extra layer to this.

What I'd like to do is break down the sale quantities by product. How should I structure my data in order to achieve this?

At the moment, my data is structured in such a way so that there is a row for each transaction. Each product has multiple transactions. There is just one date column.

I think what would help is to put the 2018 and 2019 data into two different data series. That way the columns for each month can be beside each other like this.
Two-data-series-for-comparison-July-14-2019.jpg

A good tutorial for the basics of Excel charting is by Excel MVP Leila Gharani at https://www.xelplus.com/charts-basics/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back