How to resolve duplicate UDFs

KBARAD

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a library of functions for dealing with arrays of data (things like removing blanks, sorting, concatenation, extracting numbers, etc.) which I have as an .xlam and a couple of others use. For a particular application, I embedded this library (copied the module) into a workbook as not all of the users willl have the add on and we wanted to avoid file links.
The problem is, if anyone who has the add on opens the workbook, it seems to redirect the UDF calls to the add on and form a link, rather than maintaining the local link. How can we avoid forming a link when there is already a local module which has the correct functions.

Note: I would really really like to avoid making lots of changes in the workbook, as it is close to 300m formulae and right on the edge of what excel can do before it breaks down - the less changes the better. I'm happier to change the addin module or options, although I want to keep the same UDF names

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Simply copying the module into the workbook would not update the formulas to point to that version of the code. You'd need to re-enter them.

Upvote 0
I have the opposite problem. the workbook was made with the addon disabled so it should be pointing to the local version, and this particularly copy was made by someone who doesn't even had the addon. Yet if I open the workbook, it redirects all the existing formulae to the addon version of the UDF and if I save it then has created links so if someone else opens it it breaks (#name: since it can't find the addon)

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is not applicable as I am not very familiar with Add-ins. Found this online, don't mind the add in name.

VBA Code:
If AddIns("Vision5").Installed = True Then AddIns("Vision5").Installed = False

Would this work if used in workbook open event?

Upvote 0
Sorry if this is not applicable as I am not very familiar with Add-ins. Found this online, don't mind the add in name.

VBA Code:
If AddIns("Vision5").Installed = True Then AddIns("Vision5").Installed = False

Would this work if used in workbook open event?
An interesting thought, although it would mean reinstalling it before closing. Not ideal but could be one of the less painful workarounds. I cannot find an easy reference for how UDF scoping is prioritised.

Upvote 0
Local UDFs should be used in preference when the function is entered. I have never heard of the behaviour you describe.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back