How to save a function string

GratefullyDyed

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey there!

First time posting here, so I apologize if anything is amiss! :)

Program - Excel 2016 MAC

I just moved to excel from Apple Numbers and most of what I am seeing I am liking. However, there are a couple things I have noticed so far that I expected I would be able to do no problem. Hopefully I am missing something simple.

1. As the title suggests, I would like to be able to save a function string for use in the future. For instance, I have a function to replace the last "-" with an "_";

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","_",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-","")))

I would like to be able to call upon that in the future without having to document it in a word file or something like that. Is there a way to save my functions in excel?

2. This is unrelated to the title of this post but it is very simple so hopefully it will be a simple answer for someone that won't require a separate post:

Is there a way to deselect a single cell from the cells already selected? So, if I have A1-A10 selected and I want to deselect A3 is there a simple way to do this? In numbers I would just hold CMD and click on the cell I wanted to deselect/select. What I have found online says that there is not really a good way to do this, which is ridiculous, imo.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Hi, welcome to the board :)

1. No, other than actually copy/pasting your formulas elsewhere, there is no way to save functions in excel.

2. The way I select cells like that is to hold down the CTRL key and drag down to the unwanted cell, then click on the next cell (still holding down CTRL) and drag again
Alternatively...
click 1st cell
press END/DOWN
hold CTRL and click next cell
press END/DOWN

Upvote 0
Hi, welcome to the board :)

1. No, other than actually copy/pasting your formulas elsewhere, there is no way to save functions in excel.

Bummer

2. The way I select cells like that is to hold down the CTRL key and drag down to the unwanted cell, then click on the next cell (still holding down CTRL) and drag again
Alternatively...
click 1st cell
press END/DOWN
hold CTRL and click next cell
press END/DOWN

Yeah, I get doing it like this but that does not help if a mistake is made or you need to remove a selection after the fact. A very simple functionality I am surprised there is no way to do this...

Thanks for your reply!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back