How to save the value of an OptionButton

birdieman

I have two option buttons (labeled automatic and manual) on a userform that are linked via a GroupName in the properties window. If I click "automatic" and save the file, the next time I open the file, the "automatic" button is not clicked and the "manual one is clicked -- like it did not save the setting.

1. How to I save the value of an OptionButton?

2. I have other pairs of linked OptionButtons on the form in other places. While in the VB editor, I noticed that one button in some pairs is clicked (no code has been written to them yet) while no buttons are clicked in other pairs. Why is this and does it matter while in the VB editor?

thanks

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
Save the values to refill by some method.
1. Cells
2. Registry (GetSetting(), SaveSetting())
3. External file, txt file, ini file, etc.

(1) is usually done through the ControlSource property. That can be set at design time.

Upvote 0
I do not quite understand what you mean. The buttons are on a userform-- and I am in design time. I save textbox values, but just do not understand what you mean? Can you be more specific? thanks for responding

Upvote 0
For which method? Obviously, (1) is the most simple. Select the View menu on the VBE toolbar and select Properties if you don't have it open. In the ControlSource property, type A1 or whatever cell you want to hold the value of True or False. Do the same for the other control but a different cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, select a cell on a particular sheet and put in properties box. Then in userform_initialization, I should code "optionbutton3=sheetx( A1)" (in properformat of course)?? Is this correct?

If this is correct, it seems like Excel would have stuck in another property that simply said "Save value of button?" then a yes or no.

thanks for your help

Upvote 0
I guess you could do it that way but it is much more involved.

Sounds like you don't know the basics of VBE or ActiveX controls. If clicking the View menu in VBE and then Properties Window is too difficult, just press the F4 key. Now that the Properties Window is open, click the userform or other controls which in this case would be each of the options button co. Notice how the property options change. Then set the ControlSource property as I explained.

There are many tutorials for how to use the VBE. e.g. https://www.techonthenet.com/excel/macros/properties_window2010.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XsNDxlE04o

Upvote 0
I know how to open the properties window and make changes there. I just did not know how to save the optionsbutton value and I did not know how to reestablish that value when the file is opened again. I suppose that when the file is opened, the optionsbutton value will be established automatically by looking at the cell I put in ControlSourse? I guess I will have to read about it.

thanks for responding

Upvote 0
I would have thought so with 529 posts but one never knows for sure.

Yes, just like the method you were trying to use, the ControlSource takes care of it even more easily. I most always test my solutions so once your true and false values are set, it will "remember" from click to click and session to session.

Of course since they are grouped, just setting one ControlSource is sufficient. While the usual practice is to use the Activesheet of say A1, you can force the source to another sheet. e.g. If sheet's tab name was ok then I would use say: ok!A1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The 529 posts were me asking questions as I learned VBA over the past year, but I have never used optionbuttons. Kind and knowledgeable people on this board like you have helped me a lot -- thank you again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9Kimo3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back