How to search in a workbook with a list

kweeks

URGENT!!

I have a problem. I have a workbook called Business.xls and another workbook called Dbase_Customers.xls. The Dbase_Customers.xls file contains a list of customers with name, company name, phone#s, email, etc. I am trying to get a formula that with allow me to search the Dbase_Customers.xls file from the Business.xls file using the Customer ID#, Customer Name, or the Company and return values for the search for all of the customer info. I am trying to use the VLOOKUP function and nested if statements, but it does not want to seem to work. The search area also contains a validation list so if the person doin a search didn't know the customer name or id# they have a drop down list.

This is what I got so far:

=VLOOKUP((IF(B2>0,B2,F2)),Dbase_Customers.xls!$A$2:$N$3,1)

This works with just the Customer ID# field. I tried this with the other fields but it is saying NO to me :(

=IF(B2>0,(VLOOKUP(B2,Dbase_Customer.xls!$A$2:$N$3,1))),IF(C2=" ",(IF(D2=" ",,(VLOOKUP(D2,Dbase_Customers.xls!$A$2:$N$3,3)))),(VLOOKUP(C2,Dbase_Customers.xls!$A$2:$N$3,2)))

Most likely Im probably way off and there is a much easier way to do this. Im a newbie so any help is much appreciated. I think I just wrote alot of babble

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Hi Kweeks:

Welcome to the Board!

I am going to illustrate the use of VLOOKUP function through a simple simulation laid out as you suggested in your post. You may want to study the use of VLOOKUP in the simulation as well as Excel Help to clearly understand its usage.
y021005.xls
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
1NameField2Field3Field4Field5Field6Field7Field8Field9Field10Field11Field12Field13Field14
2Kweeksab2ac2ad2ae2af2ag2ah2ai2aj2ak2al2am2an2
3MrExcelab3ac3ad3ae3af3ag3ah3ai3aj3ak3al3am3an3
5LookingupLookingup
6MrExcelKweeks
7NameMrExcelNameKweeks
8Field6af3Field6af2
9Field12al3Field12al2
Sheet3
</SPAN>

Regards!

Yogi

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back