How to show the result of 5 tables in 1 overview table

Silivia

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
situation:
I got a big table with employee data - it included information like: -name -working hours -date (when did he work) -on which project -break time ...

I analyzed for the following questions:
-which employee worked longer than 10hours?
-who worked on Sunday’s?
-who did not rest 11hours between work days? ... (and more)

The result of each question is displayed in a separate table in a separate sheet. (I did this with Microsoft Query)

problem:
Now my boss handed me a table where all the employees of the company are listed. She wants that the result for all my different analyzation task (^^Did the employee work longer than hours? and more) are listed behind the employee names... so basically an overview for each employee against which “time working rule” he committed a crime. This information should be complete, that means include not only a “yes” but rather “date, hours, break time ... (so all fields of my analyzation table).

1.) Sadly, I don’t know how I could show that :( how can I extract the information of 5 different tables and link them to a specific employee in a new table?

2.) also even when you guys have the technical know-how to do so, how would you organize it so that it looks good and it is visual clear and logical? I mean I cannot put in 1 row the result of 5 tables and expect that it is not becoming super confusing..

I hope you guys can imagine the scenario. If anyone has a beginner friendly solution please share it :)
For further questions also do not hesitate to ask!

Thank you all ! :)

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
So the link between all tables is the employee reference?
If so, you can use the Combine->Merge in Power Query. It allows to link ("lookup") all table based on a common field ("lookup value")?
Each Merge starts from the full employee table, using a left outer join (will get only linked data from the other calculated table).
Then extract only the columns holding the data you need in your final result.

Visualization can be manipulated with either a Pivot or conditional formatting for example. It all depends on what's truly needed. Why would it be needed to see all the details and not just some metrics one can compare? Talk to and challenge your boss, show him/her the messy table and some "alternatives"... Be the expert your boss expects you to be.

Why not have the table like you suggest (simple yes/no or counters per "control") and have a link to a detailed table (which you already have :))

Maybe turn your solution into an interactive, exploratory dashboard... Summarize, slice and dice, navigate views and data.

PS: in my company, having a report on all the employees of the company for a manager of a specific department would be a problem, a reason for immediate dismissal even. Is this request "reasonable", is the purpose like "legitimate"?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back