How to sort with different sized merged cells

jiwleini

Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
There is probably a simple fix but I am having issues when I want to sort different columns when I have rows of pinned merged cells above. Ideally I’d enter dates in one column, not in order, then sort entire rows from oldest to newest but when I do this I get the error “To do this, all merged cells need to be the same size”. Any ideas? thanks

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Welcome to the Board!

Simple solution - remove all merged cells!

Merged cells are probably the single worst feature in Excel. They cause all sorts of headaches for things like sorting and VBA.
As such, most serious Excel users will never use merge cells (and many people here will not touch any questions dealing with merged cells).

Upvote 0
I agree with Joe. Merged cells are the spawn of the devil. Instead of merged cells, go into alignment and select Center Across Selection.

Upvote 0
I agree with Joe. Merged cells are the spawn of the devil. Instead of merged cells, go into alignment and select Center Across Selection.
Note that will only work if the multiple columns are merged across single rows.
They mentioned "merged cells above", which leads me to believe that they are probably merging multiple rows across a single column (in which case, this would not work for them).

On the off-chance that they actually are merging multiple columns across single rows, here are the directions on how to do that:

Upvote 0
Note that will only work if the multiple columns are merged across single rows.
They mentioned "merged cells above", which leads me to believe that they are probably merging multiple rows across a single column (in which case, this would not work for them).

On the off-chance that they actually are merging multiple columns across single rows, here are the directions on how to do that:
Thanks for the solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back