how to speed up a big file

DutchKevin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear All,
maybe a question that is hard to answer at once but i have an question about a xlsm file thay i manage, now around 15MB.
there are numerous sheets (>150) in it with all kind of links within the file, to other files, and also sevaral VBA actions.
Now a full recalcualtion of the file takes around 30secs on a good computer. i already work around this as much as possible with only recalculating individual sheets.

I would like to try to speed up the whole file for increased useabilty, but is there any way that this file can be analysed/monitored during a recalculation to show what is the biggest time consumer? so that i can start there with my attempts to speed things up.

Thanks,
Kevin

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Without seeing the file, difficult to suggest where. Go to each worksheet and press CTRL+END and see if the last cell is far away from what you think the last cell is and then delete the rows and columns not used inbetwee and save, that usually reduces some of the file size.

Check if you're looping, can you find alternative ways to achieve the same in your code, may be other parts of your code that aren't fully optimised or the formulas/links you're using in your workbook

Upvote 0
Thanks for your suggestions. I checked the end of some sheets, but the end is where it should be. and i can't reduce the nr of sheets as they are kept as archive.

Upvote 0
Do you have lots of:...
Charts
Pivot tables
Graphics
macros

on any of the sheets ??

Upvote 0
Hi,
The file doesn't have many charts, there are some 10-15 in total maybe on 2 or 3 sheets.
pivots are not used
the file is linked to 4 other files in total, where almost all sheets link to at least one common file.
all sheets have many conditional formats, some depending on external sheets info.

Regards
Kevin

Upvote 0
Something you could try is:

Code:
   Open the Excel file.
   Save the Excel file in .html format.
   Then save the .html document into .xls (or whichever format you have), but as another name.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocketslinger

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back